10-37

Could someone clear up the different 10-37 codes for me? At what point does the unit decide which code to use?
For example, sometimes on the radio I hear a unit report that firefighters are in the ambulance assisting with CPR en route to the hospital- this would make it a code 2, presumably. But if the patient then dies en route or after arrival, what code would be transmitted?
Also, what exactly is a code 4? I read that it is for when the unit has 'no patient contact,' but would that not make it a 10-91 instead? Is this the definition or is it for minor injuries that don't require EMS to transport the patient?

Again, thanks in advance!

MJ101..............Sorry I do not have the code listing in front of me but I am sure one of the guys can and will respond to your question ...............As far as the FDNY firefighter in the ambulance you hit it on the head as far as assisting in CPR and ect...........I thing that I can assure you since I  was on a ambulance for 24 years........The patient is either pronounced DOA at the scene or in the hospital by the doctor..........

37-1 is for deceased patient or victim
37-2 is for patient victim not breathing requires resucitation
37-3 is for injured/ill patient breathing
37-4 is when EMS is on scene with fdny unit and no patient contact was required or needed
10-91 unit is cancelled enroute, response downgraded or ems is on scene prior to arrival of fdny.
the 37-1 usually remains at scene as most times ems calls telemetry and a decision is made at that time to either continue with life saving measures or pronounce as deceased, when person is transported it is usually a 37-2 since most times fdny unit does not know final outcome at hospital, when successful these are considered the pre hosital saves.

Ambulances do not transport dead people and no one dies in the ambulance. Period.

As to the difference between 37-4 and 91, 37-4 is used once the engine has arrived. 91 is used before they get to the location. 

The reason being that once they have arrived they did some type of work be it a search or just carrying the jump bag for EMS.

A 10-91 by strict definition means they didn't do anything and thus can't take credit for working.

Thanks for the answers guys, it pretty much confirmed what I thought. Nobody ever dies in the ambulance? If only that were true...

On a related note, sometimes when the patient gets up and walks away or refuses treatment I hear them signal a 10-31 but I'm sure I've heard them use the 10-37 code 4 before too. Which signal would be correct in this case? Would it be a 10-31 if the patient leaves before EMS arrives and a 10-37 after?

It should be a 37-4. By definition, 10-31 is for non-medical assists.