10/4/2020 Queens All Hands Plane Crash Box 4639

Address: 158-11 Riverside Drive - between 158 & 159 Street

Single engine plane into a pier.

Both Bronx and Queens initially had a box out for this incident. Bronx units were returned to service once Queens confirmed it.

1512 - TL-144 - We have one person entrapped in the plane. The plane is into a pier.

1513 - E-295 - There is no building involved. The plane crashed into a pier. We have one victim extricated and we are in the process of extricating another victim.

1515 - E-295 - Both victims are extricated. We need EMS.

1519 - Bn. 52 - We had 3 occupants in the plane. All are out. We need EMS on 158 Street.

1526 - Div. 14 - All Hands - Single engine plane into a concrete pier and is completely on land. No fire, no exposures. Awaiting additional EMS resources. One line stretched.

L-129 FAST

1528 - Div. 14 - Cancel all additional Rescue units. Keep Haz-Mat coming to offload the fuel.

1540 - Div. 14 - We are shoring up the plane and offloading the fuel. We have one precautionary line and one foam line stretched. This is a sea plane. DWH - Duration 35 minutes.

Maybe:
E-295, 320, 273, 297
L-144, 167, 129F
B-52
S-288
R-4, 3
D-14
RB, SB, FC, Tac 1
M4, M6, MB
HM-1, HMB, E-274 Haz Tech
L-116 w/ Rescue Collapse 4
TL-152 SOC Support
TL-164 Water Rescue
Car 23

Last edited:
Relief per Car-6 @16:44

E-306
L-160

FC relief Engine for the watch line at 18:00

Last edited:
Unconfirmed reports of the pilot being critical and one of the passengers having died.

I did not want to post info too early today but the media has put some names out so i will post now to ask for Prayers for those involved in this Sea Plane Crash today in Whitestone QNS...i have been to the actual Sea Plane Pilots restaurant's ...Joe/Guiseppe Oppedisano owner of il bacco on Northern Blvd in Little Neck & Joe's Trattoria 35 on 35 Ave in Bayside ....the passengers Jose & Maggie were a couple from the neighborhood that we sat down with on several occasions at Maggie Mays here in Bayside (Restaurant name no relation to Maggie RIP today) ...Joe who was the Pilot today was very experienced .....Jose who was one of the passengers & Maggies Partner was an experienced Fixed Wing & Helo Pilot (as well as an accomplished Crane Mechanic on the big ones .....he was also a cable & satellite & internet wizard who has helped us out with our equipment ).....Please Pray for Maggies Soul & for the successful Recovery of Jose & Joe / Guiseppe & for their Families in this tragic incident ....Thank You.

Last edited:
Extraordinary coverage from so many Site members - thanks to everyone, and especially The Chief. And continued prayers for the deceased, the survivors and those who helped them.

Just a bit of trivia for that area, when the fireboat John H. Glenn was put in service (1962) it was berthed at the foot of 154 street by Powells Cove Blvd. by the former Tropicana orange juice plant. As a youngster I used to see the big white freighter "Tropicana", loaded with oranges, cruising on the East River towards Whitestone from where I lived in College Point. Later in years, the "Glenn" was moved to new quarters at Fort Totten. I don't recall in what year the Tropicana plant moved out. In the same area many years prior there was a fire at the LeHarve apartments on Powells Cove Blvd. around 162 street. L144 had a 75' FWD wooden aerial and it was too short to reach the fire floor. There was a large community outcry about this and 144 was given a 100' rig. I don't recall what brand of rig it was i.e. Mack or otherwise.