12-6-1987 LODD FF JOHN (JACK) TOOMEY LAD*123.

^^^^^. In 1987 on a frigid Valentines Day night (actually after Midnight so it was technically the 15th) there was a Fire in the projects (Albany Houses) down the block from my then R*2 qtrs on Bergen St & Troy Ave .....a civilian was on the 9th fl window sill (outside the child guard) of the fire apt in the rear of the bldg...Jack Toomey was a FF working in LAD*123....Jack & I were on the floor above & the Fire was blowing out a few windows in the apt below us & was reflecting in the windows of the bldg across the playground / courtyard....all of a sudden the civilians at the other bldgs windows started yelling & pointing at our bldg...we went Into a room not over the venting Fire & I took out the child guard & leaned out & there was a civilian squatting on the sill below hanging onto the child guard (he was skinny enough to squeeze out between the bars & the window frame) with heavy heat & smoke around him from one of the last non involved rooms in the Fire apt....Jack was going to lower me ....we were getting ready when FF Dick Webb LAD*123 Chauffeur drove his rig thru a chain link fence & shot the Aerial over the Cab to the victim ( RICHARD B. WEBB FF. LAD. 123 FEB. 15, 1987 1987 1988 CINELLI MEDAL1607316920943.png) .....I could not think of a better or stronger guy than Jack Toomey (six foot five / 250 lbs) to be lowering me if I had went ....Jack was a walking substantial object.....Continued Rest In Peace Brother...Gone But Not Forgotten.....Jack's Son Mike is an FDNY Paramedic LT . ..... honor365.org/2020/01/27/firefighters-john-jack-toomey-lt-michael-toomey/

Last edited:
Tragic Loss; Continued Rest In Peace, Jack Toomey. God Bless Those Who Serve, and Those Who Mourn.

Continued Rest in Peace for Jack Toomey. Continued thoughts and prayers for his family at home and in St. Johns East.

Jack was a great firefighter, whether on the fire floor, cooking the meal, playing softball or teaching the new guys. He had tremendous pride in our company and inspired that pride in all who worked with him. He was the guy who gave me my orientation when I walked through the door of St. John's East on my first tour of duty after graduating probie school. He showed me the ropes and guided me in the right direction.

One night Jack had the knob at a good first due job. He opened the bale on the nozzle and ripped it completely off. Undaunted, he grabbed the vice grips from his turnout coat, locked the pliers on the bale nut and proceeded to make his push and extinguished the apartment.

On another occasion, he paid back a night tour that he owed me. E234 ended up first due at a multiple alarm (I believe it was on Albany Ave.). Numerous rescues were made by the members of Ladders 123, 111 and R2. Jack, working in my place, had the knob. Needless to say, my stepping up and working a mutual that he needed proved once again that 'no good turn goes unpunished'. He was quite pleased to relate the details of that fire to me the next time I saw him...

Continued rest in peace Jack, you are missed and will never be forgotten.

mack

Administrator
FF John J. Toomey, Ladder 123

1607541241196.png

1607541306904.png

Son LT Michael Twomey:

1607541511676.png

“My dad, John Toomey, was an FDNY Firefighter at Ladder 123. I was four years old when he died in the line of duty in 1987. My mom used to tell me how much he loved his job and this Department. When I began to realize my interest in medicine, I knew I wanted to be a part of this Department in my own way. I have two daughters, Lorelai and Emilia. Emilia is just a week old, and I hope to instill a work ethic in them the same way my father did to me,” says FDNY Lieutenant Michael Toomey, who was promoted today at the FDNY Officers Promotion Ceremony in Brooklyn.

Attachments

• 1607541306904.png
    1607541306904.png
    586.8 KB · Views: 3