1976 mack from rescue 5

R5 was reformed in 1984 but it was originally assigned a 1976 mack but where did it come from prior to being R5?. another interesting thing about it is it has an Aerodynic which i find strange because the aerodynic wasnt introduced until late 1977 or sometime in 1978.
NFD2004 picture
scan00653.jpg

Rescue 5 was reactivated with MR7601 . . . formerly assigned to R2.  It then got MR8502 (a Mack MR/Saulsbury) new when it was delivered in 1987.  Then SR9605, the HME/Saulsbury, and finally the E1 currently assigned.  (Information [except for the E1] from Jack Calderone's FDNY Rescue Apparatus.)

mercury.....i am curious .....i drove & babied that rig in R*2 from '77 till '82 when we got the ALF.....i am not familiar with the term Aerodynic that you use .......is it the light bar.....fill me in & i may have an explanation .

68jk09 said:
mercury.....i am curious .....i drove & babied that rig in R*2 from '77 till '82 when we got the ALF.....i am not familiar with the term Aerodynic that you use .......is it the light bar.....fill me in & i may have an explanation .
its the style of light bar on the rig in the picture. FDNY used it up until about 6 years ago for Batt SUVS

OK.. that is what i thought.....here is the story ......originally the Rig had a gumball marslight on the cab roof.....our good Friends in the Dept Shops provided us with a brand new light bar ( not many around then ) & an electronic siren (sort of under the table).......we installed them ourselves....originally we left the gumball in place with the light bar behind it....i beleive when the Shops re-did the rig for R*5 they removed the gumball & MAY have changed the light bar (i think the original MAY have been more of a rectangular shape than oval) i will have to look at some older pictures)......we also used both the mechanical & electronic sirens together on runs......normally the Officer would blow the mechanical siren & i would blow the airhorn .....then whenever i took my foot of the gas & stepped on or covered the brake i would use the foot pedal w/my left foot to activate the yelp mode of the electronic siren which would also alert the Members in the back to hold on in anticipation of a sudden stop....Members in the back (or the Cattle as they called themselves) might be doing a variety of things like standing & dressing or readying equiptment so the yelp gave them a heads up to hold on.......the '76 was a good Rig it was an automatic transmission & the shifter was on a pod in between  the seats & it was in line w/reverse all the way forward  ..then nuetral ..then Drive ..then 2nd ..then 1st....so when slowing down suddenly you could just reach down & slam it straight back from Drive to 1st & get some action similiar to downshifting the older manual trans Rigs....around '85 R*5 had a Company Event to attend & R*2 guys offered to work for them ...i was looking forward to driving the '76 again as well as seeing what had been upgraded on it but unfortunately that tour they had an older POS spare.......when i worked in R*5 as a Covering LT. around '87/'88 they had the '85.