2-11 south side Chicago

december 7th, 2008.
fire started about 5:30 on the 6900 block of south Winchester, Englewood community.

grocery store with fire through the roof when first companies responded. still and box by first truck company on scene. interior attack was attempted followed by all units pulled out of fire building

2-11 at 5:45 (approx). exterior operation with 2 tower ladders, 2 arial pipes, 1 multiversal, and 2 2-1/2 inch lines.

roof collapsed at 6:15 approx.

companies were still working until 9:00 P.M. unable to enter into building due to possibility of further collapse.

D

deyoart

I was at the O'Hare Airport house last Oct, top notch guys! Met LT Andre Rayburn at E65 T52 the next day. Great guys at that house! In fact, the driver on T52 took our test and worked for our neighboring dept here in Calif at one time. Small world. The guys at HQ were great too.

Now here is my question: I listen to CFD on my computer, why do they tell Englewood and Main "E1 is at 1552 Kedzie southbound on the ambulance assist" why do they give the directional?

Art
HFD Eng 4

rules and regs for chicago say a company can not go noes to noes with another company. the ambulance is supposed to also face south bound then...

for a reg working fire the company are suppose to line up with the 1st truck in front of fire building the 1st engine in front of that truck both facing same way... the 2nd engine is suppose to back down behind the first truck... this way if vehicles need to move fast. they will be able to just drive forward and not worry about backing down streets.

D

deyoart

Makes sense, we back into to all buildings when we are doing structure protection during wildfires here on the left coast. That we if the joint lights up, or as we call it "burns over", we can hot foot it outta there.

im not sure if this is the reason but it might have ben set up so if they get another call and r picked up and ready to go they can leave quickly or if a collapse zone need to be set up they can do that quickly