2/13/2012 All Hands Bronx Box 3512

Wow! :eek:  I was supervisor of that tiny post office from 1977-78 when it was a slow, quiet, lonely outpost. They've been wanting to close it for years but the sisters at a nearby convent always fought to keep it open. ;)

guitarman314 said:
Wow! :eek:  I was supervisor of that tiny post office from 1977-78 when it was a slow, quiet, lonely outpost. They've been wanting to close it for years but the sisters at a nearby convent always fought to keep it open. ;)

Their still trying to close it along with the one I use on Decatur Ave. just south of 204th St.

A good friend owns the gin mill on that corner and happens to be retired FDNY. He went out side to see what the commotion was and saw L55 and E68 first due.

Said he had to check the street sign to be sure he was not in the" Twilight Zone".

Must have been a lot of boxes out in addtion to this (3512), 3534, etc.

3511 said:
A good friend owns the gin mill on that corner and happens to be retired FDNY. He went out side to see what the commotion was and saw L55 and E68 first due.

Said he had to check the street sign to be sure he was not in the" Twilight Zone".

Would that be the "Jolly Tinker" and do you remember "French Charley?s" ?

mikeindabronx said:
3511 said:

Would that be the "Jolly Tinker" and do you remember "French Charley?s" ?
I remember both of those establishments very well.

Spent many a day, Mike,  shagging fly balls at French Charlies...washed down by a cold one at the Tinker when I got older.

48/56 had a get together last night at the Tinker. The place hasn't changed one bit!

turk132 said:
48/56 had a get together last night at the Tinker. The place hasn't changed one bit!

How did you like that new parking facility being built where Atlas use to be ?

mikeindabronx said:
turk132 said:

I drove down with three other brothers, we were surprised to see that. Is it for Metro North?

turk132 said:
mikeindabronx said:
turk132 said:

I drove down with three other brothers, we were surprised to see that. Is it for Metro North?

I believe it's being built by the Botanical Garden

And has any agency done a traffic study as to what will be the effect of all these cars converging on the intersection of Webster Avenue and 200th Street (aka, Bedford Park Boulevard) to attend the Botanical Gardens?

This is, after all, a residential neighborhood, and a resilient one at that. It has survived all the pressures of the past 50 years, turned over its ethnic makeup several times, and continually revived to save itself. Its priceless architecture alone spans several generations, from the Victorian 1880's, to new law tenements, to 1920's Art Deco, to 1950's shlock. Can it now withstand all those limos from downtown?

The Gardens and its wealthy patrons have ruled the creation of the parking garage, according to local merchants. Botanical Square has been nothing more than an illegal staging area for the construction company, as has been the Metro North Parking lot, to hell with the residents of Botancal Square. What the Garden wants, the Garden gets. Downtown money talks, and dictates.

Then again, it was the downtown money of the 19th Century, from Vanderbilt's railroad, Belmont's Elevated line, wealthy patrons of the Jerome Park Racetrack, the Archdiocese (its College and Convent), the Gardens and the Zoological Society, Thomas Edison and his studio on Oliver Place and Decatur Avenue, that attracted the gliterati of that era to this bluff over the valley of the long gone Mill River.

The rich, students of the rich, the clergy, the professors, the actors, directors, and producers, the architects, and the financiers, they all made Bedford Park the equivalent of Greenwich, CT in 1900. Perhaps that downtown money will do it again.

But what of those who reside there today?