268/137

Whatever happened to these companies getting new quarters?
They are it takes time…. Other things ahead of that, look at 287/136….. there is so many on a list right now for repairs also…. This years budget calls for New EMS Station 17, New E268, and emergency repair to E287/L136…

Work still has to be done at 3 houses in the bronx and numerous citywide.

They are it takes time…. Other things ahead of that, look at 287/136….. there is so many on a list right now for repairs also…. This years budget calls for New EMS Station 17, New E268, and emergency repair to E287/L136…

Work still has to be done at 3 houses in the bronx and numerous citywide.
Other the course of the next 20 years I can see numerous houses getting replaced.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Whatever happened to these companies getting new quarters?
The last few years there has been alot of repair work being done to those quarters. FDNY had a site for the new firehouse & was hoping to building a drive through station. They have taken control of the site, a former bank that was damaged by Super storm Sandy. That has now been turned into a training facility. Its located right down the corner from the current fire house.

The last few years there has been alot of repair work being done to those quarters. FDNY had a site for the new firehouse & was hoping to building a drive through station. They have taken control of the site, a former bank that was damaged by Super storm Sandy. That has now been turned into a training facility. Its located right down the corner from the current fire house.
3 Bay Firehouse last I looked at the Plans. Not sure if they removed the drive thru bays

Dump question. Would that be the first drive thru FDNY station? I don't think I have seen one.

The future site is currently "Rockaway Tactical". For many years it was the site of the Rams Horn Diner

It was not. It's main entrance was on 126th but had a side entrance on Amsterdam Ave for the fire chief. It has a city pool(Sheltering Arms) directly behind it.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Dump question. Would that be the first drive thru FDNY station? I don't think I have seen one.
I am going to say yes to you. There was a drive through building at the Rock, either on Welfare Is or at its current site, What about Res 2's new qtrs? In NYC there is not enough space to build fire houses with drive through bays. EMS Station 3 might have that feature.

It was not. It's main entrance was on 126th but had a side entrance on Amsterdam Ave for the fire chief. It has a city pool(Sheltering Arms) directly behind it.
Thank you for clarifying. I recall visiting there many years ago and making the observation that the house had an off door. The chief was long gone by then so I thought it was a drive through, but my mistake. I believe the building still stands as a community center? L40s old qtrs on Hancock Place now a theater of sorts?

Old qtrs of L4 on 8th Ave and E71 on Park Ave had similar chief accommodations. Must be more, but drive thrus?...dunno.

Last edited:
R*2s new Qtrs on Sterling Place does have Apparatus Doors front & back but the back Apparatus Door only opens into the Drill Yard in back .....to actually be a drive thru the bldg behind the FH fronting on Park Place would have to be ripped down.....one of the problems with a drive thru would be that you would now have to maintain two Fire Zones front & rear....in many areas of NYC it is a full time job keeping one Fire Zone clear of parked vehicles let alone two ?......also I personally feel that having to back into the FH in all types of weather & light conditions keeps a Chauffer more in tune than if he only had drive in Reverse in an emergency.

I remember being in the old Qtrs of LAD*4 & BN*9... (ENG*54 was in their own Qtrs a few blocks away)....it was not a drive thru but did have separate Apparatus Doors ...LAD*4's was on 8'th Ave (as it is today in the newer FH built on the same spot)...BN*9's Apparatus Door was on 48 St & the BN Rig was in an enclosed portion of the ground floor but could not drive into the Truck's area.....actually the old BN Rig used to be parked in the area that is now the present day FH kitchen.

I remember being in the old Qtrs of LAD*4 & BN*9... (ENG*54 was in their own Qtrs a few blocks away)....it was not a drive thru but did have separate Apparatus Doors ...LAD*4's was on 8'th Ave (as it is today in the newer FH built on the same spot)...BN*9's Apparatus Door was on 48 St & the BN Rig was in an enclosed portion of the ground floor but could not drive into the Truck's area.....actually the old BN Rig used to be parked in the area that is now the present day FH kitchen.
I was detailed to 4 truck in a heavy snow storm maybe about 1970. Getting there late I was sitting in the kitchen when the BN 9 returned to quarters. Here I am sitting there having coffee, while the car is dropping slush on the floor right next to me. No exhaust fans and no masks in those days. Iron men and wooden hydrants I guess.

Yes it was weird.... the BN Rig was right in the kitchen basically ....or the kitchen table was in the BN Rig parking area however you look at it....the Apparatus door was not an overhead but rather a split heavy steel door door & each half went sideways....we were relocated to LAD*4 one Saturday night & we were sitting around the table & guys were smoking cigars so one of the guys opened one of the doors & of course at least a third of the steady stream of movie goers passing by had to stick their head in.