3/21/10-All Hands Box 1646

From exchief84:  Manhattan,  N. Y.  03/21/10  @  05:15 hrs.

Harlem  Area

Box  1646

address:              28837  8th  Ave.  cor.  of  West  151st  St.

1646  @  05:11

Engs.  69,  80,  59,  84*

Lads.  28,  30

Batt.  16

Rescue  Co.  #3*

Squad  Co.  #41*

* 4  Engs.  /  2  Tks.  /  Rescue  &  Sqd.  due  to  numerous  calls

10 ? 75 ? 1646  @  05:16

Ladder  34  is  designated  as  the  ?FAST?  Truck

Batt.  13

Division  6

@  05:19

Special  Call  an  additional  Engine  &  a  TowerLadder

Eng.  67  &  TowerLadder  23  s/c

Fire  Building:

5  Story  Brick  40 x 60  Vacant  Comm. / M.D.

Surrounding  Properties:

Exp. #1:  Is  a  Street

Exp. #2:  Is  a  Street

Exp. #3:  Is  an  Alley

Exp. #4:  Is  a  Similar  Type  attach

All ? Hands:

7 ? 5 ? 1646  @  05:23

Batt.  16  reports:    Box  1646,  Using  All ? Hands.    We  have  fire  on  multiple  floors  of  a

5  Story  Vacant  Bldg.    2 ? lines  stretched,  2 ? lines  in  operation.   

Special  Call  an  additional  TowerLadder.

TowerLadder  17  s/c

@  05:26

Division  6:    Box  1646,  Special  Call  an  additional  TowerLadder.

TowerLadder  44  s/c

@  05:34

Division  6:    Box  1646,  Heavy  fire  top  floor  of  a  5  Story  Vacant  corner  Bldg.

We  have  1  TowerLadder  in  operation.    Outside  operation.    We  have  lines  stretched

into  Exp. #4.    Fire?s  Doubtful.

@  05: 46

Division  6:    Box  1646,    We  have  3 ? lines  stretched  from  the  exterior.

4th  line  being  stretched  into  Exp. #4.      We  have  (1)  TowerLadder  in  operation  in  front

of  the  Fire  Bldg.    ( 1 )  TowerLadder  being  set-up  on  West  151st  St.  side.      Fire?s  Doubtful.

@  05:59

Division  6:    Box  1646,    Fire  conditions  remain  the  same.    Still  have  fire  on  the  top  floor.

Fire  is  darkening  down.      ( 2 )  TowerLadders  in  operation.    Smoke  condition  thru  out  the 

Bldg.      Still  Doubtful.

@  06:09

Division  6:    Box  1646,    We?re  going  to  go    Probably  Will  Hold.

Searches  are  being  conducted  from  a  safe  distance.

@  06:48

Division  6:    Box  1646,    Visual  Searches  are  negative.

Fire  still  remains    Probably  Will  Hold.

( End  of  Report )

__._,_.___

B

Bigandy

Multiple floors going still handled below a 2nd alarm. Great to see!!

BigAndy it is not good to see this fire held below a 2nd alarm, this is why fdny is closing companies. 4 handlines and 2 tower ladders is really not an all hands, our own books pair up Engines to operate hand lines so in essence we should have had at least 8 Engines to operate 4 lines, this equals a 2nd alarm. Even though it was a vacant it seems to me this should have become a 2nd alarm by what I have read in the progress reports. No wonder why we may loose 20 companies. Plus at any fire there should be a reserve Engine and Truck at the command post for relief of units also.

Have to agree, transmit the 2nd and then can release units as needed.

B

Bigandy

Well if I look at it that way I agree 110%. I was just stating how great the FDNY is at putting out fires, that all.

mac8146 said:
BigAndy it is not good to see this fire held below a 2nd alarm, this is why fdny is closing companies. 4 handlines and 2 tower ladders is really not an all hands, our own books pair up Engines to operate hand lines so in essence we should have had at least 8 Engines to operate 4 lines, this equals a 2nd alarm. Even though it was a vacant it seems to me this should have become a 2nd alarm by what I have read in the progress reports. No wonder why we may loose 20 companies. Plus at any fire there should be a reserve Engine and Truck at the command post for relief of units also.
  Thank you Mac8146, You're right! These are not the "War Years" where a job like this one would've been handled with a 2 + 2 response.

IMO, should be using 2 & 2 for every structural run to keep numbers where they should be but people are so lazy they don't want to because that constitutes giving a height and size up,  I say... its for the men!

I was speaking of all the common runs!...utility emergencies when they give the 1 & 1 or 1 & 2 for something that is not as significant as an all hands or greater emergency.  Makes it sound like were actually using most of the units called on all the bs runs.

LMAO !! He wasn't asking me rdm, he was asking about the other fellow. I posted because I didn't understand what DMA was talking about