4/9/2012 All Hands for Great Kills Park

The Great Kills fire was announced along with the Fresh Kills fire during the noon-time TV News report.

Quote from SI Live

"Firefighters on Staten Island's East Shore are simultaneously battling a fire in Gateway National Recreation Area's Great Kills Park. Smoke from that fire can be seen up and down the Hylan Boulevard corridor"

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
There were a pair of brush fires in Staten Island today, but both were on the West shore of the island & neither near any of the Gateway Parks. Just prior to the 5th alarm, Battalion 23 had an all hands fire at Sharrotts Rd & Arthur Kill Rd near Port Mobil. There was a smoke condition on the East side of the island with several companies trying to locate a fire. The area between Great Kills Park & the V.Z. bridge was checked by several companies including the 22nd Batt.  No other fires were spotted or reported.

Atlas is correct. No fires in Gateway although several news agencies did report there was.

I spoke with Div 8 and they weren't aware of anything in the Great Kills Park.  I was in the park about 12:30 PM and didn't see anything.  I'll have the engine crew check along the Grayson Street fire road just to be sure, but I am glad I am not the only one that found the reporting erroneous.