5/28/10 -- Confine Space/Box 699

Reporting a worker fell possibly 85 feet, he is in a shaft leading to a tunnel.
Engine 16 reporting that ESU is stating that they have the SCENE. Reports indicate that there were MANY ESU units on scene prior to FD even getting notified. FD Rescue Assisgnment to continue in. Rescue Medics on scene also. E21, SOC Rebrether,Div 1, R1, SQ 18, RAC1,MERV.
Time:1058 hrs
  POSSIBLY TWO CONFINE SPACE AT SAME TIME ON THE OPPOSITE CORNERS. 1 NYPD ESU/Other FD
Only in NYC

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
There were two jobs going on at the same time. Eng 16 responded to a medical run & found several PD ES Units at the scene. The other job was at 307 W 44 St. FDNY units were operating at this scene. How ever, I heard a dispatcher as the IC if they had a second worker trapped. After a few minutes the answer was "NO.

So how we have to find out what really happened. Was the 911 job properly coded by their operators?
If it was, then FD Communications should have automatically received the job via the computer link.

By the way, the job at 1st Ave was not a confined space rescue according to the FDNY IC - it was a worker who was struck by some wood that fell about 15 feet while working in the rail-road tunnel belonging to the LIRR & Amtrak.

Someone injured while down an 85 foot shaft is handled as a confined space assignment. Here's what happened. 2 seperate incidents. The first was at 44 and 9. That fella was 15 feet down. Originally reported as 50.

PD SCREWED UP!!! They made 33 and 1 the same as 44 and 9. They went to 33 and 1. We were notified by PD 11 minutes after. Now I know I said they don't intentionally hold stuff up, but here's the thing. If they made one incident a duplicate to the other, it's possible that they saw that we knew about the first one, and left it alone. Secondly, the 911 call made for 33 and 1st DID NOT STATE the person was down in the shaft. All we got it as was a person injured by construction equipment, No Traps, No Pins, as PD loves to tell us.

As far as the second victim, we were getting conflicting reports, so it's not outside the realm of possibility to believe that there was a mixing of signals here, it got made the same by PD, but someone may have thought there was two victims.
PS, nice job by the Manhattan Dispatchers.

FDNY150 said:
Someone injured while down an 85 foot shaft is handled as a confined space assignment. Here's what happened. 2 seperate incidents. The first was at 44 and 9. That fella was 15 feet down. Originally reported as 50.

PD SCREWED UP!!! They made 33 and 1 the same as 44 and 9. They went to 33 and 1. We were notified by PD 11 minutes after. Now I know I said they don't intentionally hold stuff up, but here's the thing. If they made one incident a duplicate to the other, it's possible that they saw that we knew about the first one, and left it alone. Secondly, the 911 call made for 33 and 1st DID NOT STATE the person was down in the shaft. All we got it as was a person injured by construction equipment, No Traps, No Pins, as PD loves to tell us.

As far as the second victim, we were getting conflicting reports, so it's not outside the realm of possibility to believe that there was a mixing of signals here, it got made the same by PD, but someone may have thought there was two victims.
PS, nice job by the Manhattan Dispatchers.

Runs do get held up intentional or not.

Cops were in the firehouse a few tours ago doing an accident report for one of the brothers cars. An address comes over the PD radio reporting a fire in an elevator car in the projects. Cops ask us if that is our area.  It was, in fact a 1st due box.  Teleprinter went off 1:42 later for elevator fire .

Also, if runs are not held how does ESU get 3 or 4 rigs in before FD to an accident that is a block or two from the firehouse? I am talking about overturns and pins not fender benders which are coded for no FD response.

GREAT POINT!!!!!! And NYC has to HAVE the MOST amount ESU from so many different agencies. Lets name some.
NYPD ESU
Port Authority ESU
Long Island RR(MTA) ESU
Amtrack ESU
Transit has own Haz-Mat
Co-op City ESU
City Univ of NYC (CUNY)
DEP ESU

Can't think of any other's right now.
Used to also have:
NYC Transit Police ESU
NYC Housing Police ESU   --  all Part of NYPD now.