6th Alarm Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Fireleebull, How long has this trend been happening? Is there any one event you can point to that started this downturn. Did your current popular mayor have anything to do with this?

CanadianFireman, where are you on the job that is immune to cuts and that has adequate manning?

In my 14 yrs staffing has always been an issue in regards to shorting trucks down to 3. I have known nothing else.
I think the amalgamation in 1998 that created the new City of Toronto was the tipping point. Before there were 7 cities each with there own departments. Then staffing was an issue across each department, but some were better than others. Same goes for apparatus.
When they created one large department (5th largest in North America) all those issue festered into a boil.

As for the spares, it wasn't always this thin, but they cut the budget for apparatus in the last couple budgets and now we have a problem. It's been like this for the last 4 years. I guess you can saw the current mayor has contributed to these problems but he certainly isn't the problem. Then again the decommissioning of companies lies at his feet.

Fireleebull ? Thanks for such a comprehensive answer; you put a good deal of work into it.  Now for another question.  You refer to three man staffing on trucks; what operational positions do those three fill (ie, in FDNY there are Roof, OV, Irons etc).  Also, do the officers do any of the heavy lifting (and no offense to anyone by that wording.  I think you understand what I mean.).  Same question for the other types of apparatus.  Also, is TFD unionized?

Thanks.

CFDMarshal said:
Fireleebull, How long has this trend been happening? Is there any one event you can point to that started this downturn. Did your current popular mayor have anything to do with this?

CanadianFireman, where are you on the job that is immune to cuts and that has adequate manning?

I am in western Canada in Edmonton Alberta...ironically where the current TFS Chief was chief in the 90's. He tried to introduce Quints here and the union fought it and won. We have a very good relationship with our city council, the 90s were dark days for us and the 80's saw layoffs, there are people around from those days and speak often of never letting it get that bad again. Our last contract went to arbitration and I think it was the first contract in the last 7 that went to an arbitrator. Also unlike Toronto and NYC residential/commercial/industrial development has not reached the city limits yet, we are still growing out as opposed to up so there is a need for additional stations to cover the growing city.

Sorry for hijacking the Toronto thread..

manhattan said:
Fireleebull ? Thanks for such a comprehensive answer; you put a good deal of work into it.  Now for another question.  You refer to three man staffing on trucks; what operational positions do those three fill (ie, in FDNY there are Roof, OV, Irons etc).  Also, do the officers do any of the heavy lifting (and no offense to anyone by that wording.  I think you understand what I mean.).  Same question for the other types of apparatus.  Also, is TFD unionized?

Thanks.

Yes the TFS is unionized. Local 3888 IAFF. They have been battling hard just to maintain what we have.

As for riding positions, the seat behind the Captain is the Acting Captain or Senior firefighter. Seat behind the driver is for the junior firefighter. Same applies to all trucks. In Toronto we operate in teams of a minimum of 2 or 3 depending on staffing. The Captains have alot more positive control over their men as compared to the FDNY. This is a result of a line of duty death in the early 90's. We have entry control set up at every fire and crews tag in and tag out.

The Captains do heavy work yes. (in my opinion a good Captain does what his crew does)
The required tasks get accomplished by the crew.
However, the junior man usually is the hydrant man, elevator control man at a highrise call unless they are a proby then the Captain will keep them close. The nozzleman is usually the senior firefighter. junior is back-up, and the Captain is 3rd. A good senior man recognizes when the junior man is ready for the nozzle and gives way when it is appropriate. Sometimes the Captain will give the nozzle to the junior man when the Captain feels the Junior man knows their stuff.

On the Aerials, since they ride with 3 alot both the Captain and firefighter do all the work. If it is a roof cut then both will go up and get the job done. I myself when I am driving will do so with bunker pants on. If needed then I can quickly don my jacket and SCBA and become the 3rd man.(that is if i am not helping out the first due pump driver or the aerial needs to be deployed).

The Squads and Haz have there own way of assigning tasks and depends on the crew and what tasks are required(i.e. technical rescue)

I saw on toronto fire pics that the high rise unit did well over 3,000 runs in 2012. But out of curiosity why close 4 pumpers and keep staffing on the high rise unit and hazmat. Sorry for this kind of question but i dont know the politics of toronto.

Speaking about high rises, has TFS adopted use of the High Rise Nozzle or the Window Blanket?  If not, do you have any similar equipment and how long has it been in use?

anesti said:
I saw on toronto fire pics that the high rise unit did well over 3,000 runs in 2012. But out of curiosity why close 4 pumpers and keep staffing on the high rise unit and hazmat. Sorry for this kind of question but i dont know the politics of toronto.

HighRise 332 and Haz 332 are cross trained, so the members on the HighRise are all Haz tech trained and the Haz members are trained on the HighRise. The HighRise covers the entire city and has a 1st due are of the entire downtown core. It runs all highrise alarm and fire calls in it's 1st due area. It also gets special called into the other commands when it is required. Stn. 332 is home to a pumper, hazmat and highrise units. It is quite busy as it is in the core and in the heart of the entertainment district. On weekends it is not uncommon for all 3 units to be out at the same time running different calls. I've worked a few duty exchanges in 332 and have seen all 3 units running 3 different EMS calls at the same time.

I believe it was easier to close 4 slow pumper than deal with the politics of closing a specialty unit. Also it is a requirement of MLB, NFL, and other major events to have Haz tech level trained crews on location at these venues. The HighRise and Haz units fill this requirement.

manhattan said:
Speaking about high rises, has TFS adopted use of the High Rise Nozzle or the Window Blanket?  If not, do you have any similar equipment and how long has it been in use?

Toronto has one high rise nozzle. It is assigned to HighRise 332 and is special called when needed. There are no window blankets in the city ( the city does everything on the cheap, thats why there is only one HRN).

My shift at 231 was lucky enough to be a handful of stations that viewed the Chicago Fire Dept/ FDNY/ NIST video on wind driven fires. After discussing the benefits of a window blanket, our crew decided that if we were ever in the position that one was required, we would use a salvage cover and roll the ends of the cover onto (2) pike poles and securing it with duct tape. We would use (4) utility ropes and secure them to the ends of the pike poles using knots and duct tape. That would be our poor mans window blanket. Quick to make and all the required materials are carried on A231.

fireleebull, thanks for all your responses on here and for sharing your detailed knowledge.  Much appreciated.

Best,
manhattan

manhattan said:
fireleebull, thanks for all your responses on here and for sharing your detailed knowledge.  Much appreciated.

Best,
manhattan

My pleasure, any time.