7/11/81

congrats to all appointed to the FDNY on 7/11/81
very large class (600)...AM & PM sessions

tem217 said:
congrats to all appointed to the FDNY on 7/11/81
very large class (600)...AM & PM sessions

Congratulations to Probie Class of 7/11/81.

As a buff, right about that time, one of my favorite stops was to make a stop at "The Rock" to watch a Probie Class train. I watched them do their morning exercises. In fact, part of my morning exercise routine was to do similar exercises that I learned by watching you. If I remember correctly it was push ups, weights, chin ups, and then alternate with a run every other day.

Then I'd watch you guys train.
From climbing the aerial up to the roof and even which foot to step off with first and which hand to hold onto the rail.
From sliding the roof rope and climbing the pompier ladder.
Or from putting on your mask to operating those hand lines.

Everything was covered and I tried to listen to the instructors when they talked. Not only did they teach your Probie Class, but sometimes they taught me too.

I also remember talking to one of the Instructors and him telling me it was one of the largest classes they had.

One time I got talking to the Chief of Training there. I believe his name was Chief Sacramano (spelling - ?). I told him how I was learning from watching you guys train. He invited me into his office and he handed me one of your FDNY Probie manuals. He told me it came from a guy who had quit. I can tell you, I sure put that book to good use. I "think" I still have it.

Today, I'm sure EVERY ONE of the Probies of 7/11/81 has a few stories to tell. I'm sure most have retired and sadly maybe some have passed on. I know I learned a lot from watching you guys not only during your Probie Classes but I'm sure on the streets as well.

But it goes farther than that. I was a firefighter too and what I learned from you, I tried to pass onto the guys I worked with. In my own mind, I have to believe that a lot more good came out of it than any of us could ever realize.

To ALL the Probies of 7/11/81 thanks for your service to the millions of citizens and visitors to the City of New York. And Thanks for helping me to help others do what you do.   

mack

Administrator
That class saw and experienced a lot - to include September 11, 2001.  God bless all members.

One of the best days of my life, 37 years ago when I became a NYC Fireman. The greatest job on earth.

69 METS said:
One of the best days of my life, 37 years ago when I became a NYC Fireman. The greatest job on earth.

"tem217" and "69METS" - little did you know that I had your class under surveillance during that time.

Anybody remember some guy walking around with a scanner in one hand and a camera in the other ?

For those who don't know what that Probie Class was like, here is a pretty good idea of what it consisted of.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=idoPyn3GGWM

that video showed current probie school s.o.p.
7/11/81...probie school was 6 weeks
we were told that we were being pumped out to the field
we received very good instruction but were also informed
to learn from the senior men wherever we were assigned
being a cop first appt 4/74 it was the same way
crime and fires were prominent maybe not as much as '68-'70
but the opportunity to learn upon your assignment out of probie school
was there with senior men who not only taught well but continued
to mentor well into your career.
good times..broken in by men who served in WW11 korea and Vietnam
be loyal to your position..do the right thing were things you heard everyday
and believe it or not as busy as we were
we still drilled every tour.

tem217 said:
that video showed current probie school s.o.p.
7/11/81...probie school was 6 weeks
we were told that we were being pumped out to the field
we received very good instruction but were also informed
to learn from the senior men wherever we were assigned
being a cop first appt 4/74 it was the same way
crime and fires were prominent maybe not as much as '68-'70
but the opportunity to learn upon your assignment out of probie school
was there with senior men who not only taught well but continued
to mentor well into your career.
good times..broken in by men who served in WW11 korea and Vietnam
be loyal to your position..do the right thing were things you heard everyday
and believe it or not as busy as we were
we still drilled every tour.

What you say above has a "PROVEN TRACK RECORD" and It WORKED. The 1980s and 90s continued to be very busy years of fire activity for cities throughout the country.

The Senior Man was able to pass on a wealth of experience to the younger members. Not just within the FDNY, but within most fire departments as well.

Today, I understand that ALL Firefighters are supposed to be equal. I understand that concept. BUT NOT ALL FIREFIGHTERS ARE EQUAL IN EXPERIENCE. There certainly is a huge difference between a 20 YEAR member and a 20 Month member. I don't care what fire dept it is.