8/1/24 Queens Box ???? Water Rescue (Delayed Post)

From the FDNY Facebook page:

"On Thursday night at 9:47pm, Marine 4 responded to a report of a person in the water close to Gantry Park in Queens while on patrol.
Marine 4 was in the area and prepared a rescue swimmer for water entry. Using a floodlight, Marine 4 was able to identify the 17-year-old male, who was hanging from a chain fastened to a ledge from the concrete seawall.
The man had tumbled from the 10-foot-tall concrete wall into the water. In less than 30 feet of water, he was clinging to the chain in the strong current.
Unable to hold on, the victim released the chain as Marine 4 got closer. The victim was promptly thrown a “throw bag” by Firefighter Ingram just before he was carried away by the current.
He was hauled to the boat by Firefighters Ingram and Blatz, who pulled him aboard to safety.
“We were getting in close but it was dark and we couldn’t see, so it's not always ideal to put somebody in the water right away. We didn’t have the boat stabilized, so the quickest move was to get him the throw bag and he grabbed onto the line”, said Lt. Richard Windmuller."

FDNY photos:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 11
Wow, Excellent !

[I Wonder what a 'throw bag' is ? I imagine a 'Bag',(?)
w/ a Line, that you 'Throw', to a Victim ? :unsure:

RCL

Wow, Excellent !

[I Wonder what a 'throw bag' is ? I imagine a 'Bag',(?)
w/ a Line, that you 'Throw', to a Victim ? :unsure:
Pretty much what Raybrag said. Basically it's a bag with lightweight line somewhere between 50 and 100 feet long that floats and is a bright color. Depending on who makes it, it's sometimes attached to a life ring or something similar,
Usually there's a loop you put your wrist thru, and throw the bag.