9/9/10 Staten Island Box 8480 - 4th Alarm

Great Kills, Staten Island, NY, 9/9/10

Engs. 161, 162, L83, Battalion 21 operating watchline

09:43 hours
Battalion 21: At the scene of the 6th Alarm Box 8480, can you special call 2 engines, 2 trucks, and BFU, we have an area of smoldering that's being taken up with the wind. E162 is stretching a line out to attack it.
Engs. 165, 155 acting 167 S/C
E164 w/ BFU1
L82, TL85 S/C

7-5-8480 - 09:48 hours
BC21: We have a small area of smoldering going.  We'll go with All-Hands.  We don't need any special units, we'll operate with what we have on arrival, k.

10:38 hours
Battalion 21 requests the Division 8 messenger vehicle to rotate night and day tour members for E161, L83.

10:43 hours
Division 8 is responding

10:53 hours
DC8: Box 8480 we're continuing to use All-Hands, Division 8 is on-scene.

11:06 hours
DC8: By orders of Division 8, special call 2 engine companies due to the wind picking up and starting up pockets.  They can drive down into the park and we'll direct them where to go.
Engs. 160, 163 S/C

11:18 hours
DC8: Box 8480, FD's going to be here for an extended operation.  We're in contact with Parks, and they're in the process of getting additional resources in to clear the park.

11:27 hours
DC8: At the continuing operations at Gateway Park, we will need RAC unit and a FAST Truck, k.
L84 (FAST Truck)
RAC 5

11:34 hours
Receiving a call for Tarlton St and Cedar Grove Ave reporting fire approaching the sewage treatment plant.
E201 acting 165 S/C to Tarlton St and Cedar Grove Ave to investigate

11:35 hours
DC8: Just be advised we have multiple fires that are springing up as the wind gusts through this area, k.

2-2-8480 -11:36 hours
E154 w/ BFU 4
E152 w/ Satellite 5
L81
Battalion 42 (All-Hands Chief)
Battalion 22 (Safety Officer)
Battalion 43 (Resource Unit Leader)
Rescue, Safety Battalions
Rescue 5
Tactical Support 2
Squad 252
FieldCom 1

11:37 hours
DC8: Re-direct E201, have him come right into me, I have visible fire in the area heading towards the houses.
E201 acting 165 re-directed

11:40 hours
DC8: Advise those units on the 2nd alarm to come to Hylan Blvd and come down Chesterton, that's the block before Buffalo.  I need them to meet me at Grayson and Chesterson.  We have some homes that are exposed, k.

11:42 hours
E159 available replacing E152

11:45 hours
DC8: Have all 2nd Alarm units respond to Chesterton and Grayson.

11:48 hours
DC8: Have FieldCom and the Satellite respond to the park off Buffalo.

11:48 hours
Receiving a call for Dugdale and Riga Sts

11:50 hours
E159 will respond to Hylan Blvd and Buffalo St and set up on the water main to supply companies.

11:52 hours
Now receiving the addresses 518 Merkle Pl and 48 Fox Beach Ave

11:57 hours
DC8: Special call a tower ladder, have them respond to Chesterton and Grayson.
TL86 S/C

11:59 hours
Marine 8 S/C to respond to Fox Beach

3-3-8480 - 12:04 hours
DC8: Transmit a 3rd Alarm, have the companies respond to the sewage treatment plant
Engs. 152, 168, 156, 153
TL79, TL76
Battalion 57
Batatlion 40 (Staging Manager)
Battalion 39 (Air-Recon Chief)
Car 8 (DAC Michael Marrone, Staten Island Borough Commander)

12:05 hours
TL149 acting ?? is available in the area replacing TL76

12:07 hours
Rescue 5: We're at Riga and Dugdale, we need a couple of engines here right away, it's approaching the houses.

12:08 hours
Battalion 40 re-directed to Riga and Dugdale
Battalion 43 re-directed to the sewage plant.

12:09 hours
DC8: All third alarm units, have them come to Riga and Dugdale.  Have them turn down to Guyon Ave, head down Riga, then turn right at Dugdale, we need those engines here right away

12:13 hours
Receiving a call for Delwitt Ave reporting fire 100 feet from the houses

12:14 hours
Fallback Step III has been implemented in Staten Island.

4-4-8480 - 12:26 hours
DC8: Transmit a 4th Alarm, and have those units respond to the sewage treatment plant.  Have Battalion 39 go in the air.
Engs. 157, 253, 241, 282
E262 w/ IMT UNit
L168, L148
Battalion 4 (Planning Sections Chief)
Marine 6

12:28 hours - Clarification for FieldCom
2nd Alarm are operating inside the park w/ Division 8
3rd Alarm companies are operating at Riga St and Delwitt Ave w/ Battalion 40
4th Alarm companies are responding to the Sewage Treatment Plant

12:31 hours - Clarification of the Command Post location
FieldCom: We are with Division 8 at Mill Rd and Delwiit

12:35 hours
DC8: I have E153 at Delwit and Mill Rd, and I need the next available, the next closest engine available.
E241 re-directed

12:36 hours
FC: Advise all chiefs to switch their handy talkies to the command channel.

12:37 hours
Battalion 57 is re-directed to the Sewage Treatment Plant

12:44 hours - Duration 2 hours
Marine 8: We're just south of the sewage treatment plant, from our viewpoint we've got some smoldering going on, possibly in the vicinity of Great Kills Lane, it's out of our reach.  Just a suggestion, if you can get some units down there and set up a tower ladder, the embers are starting to kick up.  They had companies there yesterday, maybe special call an extra engine and truck to prevent this large area from going up again.

12:44 hours
Bronx frequency is now operating on Citywide to avoid interference.

12:48 hours - Duration 2 hours 3 minutes
FC: Progress report for Box 8480, Car 8, DAC Marrone reports: 3 tower ladders set up in operation, 5 deck guns in operation, numerous handlines in operation.  All exposed houses are protected.  At this time we have 4 sectors operating: Chesterson and Grayson, Riga and Dugdale, Delwitt and Mill, and the sewage treatment plant Mill Rd.  Fire is Doubtful.  Special call 1 tower ladder to respond to the sewage treatment plant.
TL76 S/C

13:04 hours - Duration 2 hours 20 minutes
FC: Progress report for your 4th Alarm Box 8480, Gateway National Park, In the Great Kills Zon, Car 8, DAC Marrone reports heavy fire conditions in the brush.  At this time conditions remain the same.  Still operating with 3 tower ladders, 5 deck guns, numerous handlines, all exposed homes are still protected and the fire is sitll Doubtful Will Hold, k.

13:23 hours - Duration 2 hours 37 minutes
FC: Progress report for your 4th Alarm Box 8480, Gateway National Park, in the Great Kills Zone, for a large brush fire, at this time Car 8, DAC Marrone reports: continuing to operate with the previous set up of 3 tower ladders, 5 deck guns, numerous handlines, all exposed houses are still protected.  In addition to FD units we are operating with 2 Parks Dept brush fire units.  Areas of fire have been knocked down, units are maintaining their positions, still have a large fire in the center of the park.  Still Doubtful Will Hold.
14:00 hours - Duration 3 hours 16 minutes
FC: Progress report for your 4th Alarm Box 8480, Gateway National Park, in the Great Kills Zone, Car 8, DAC Marrone reports: all visible fire has been knocked down. Units continuing to wet down the area, fire Probably Will Hold.

5-5-8480 - 14:20 hours - Duration 3 hours 30 minutes
FC: Progress report for your 4th Alarm Box 8480, Gateway National Park, in the Great Kills Zone, Car 8, DAC Marrone places the fire Under Control. With that Under Control he would like to transmit the 5th Alarm for relief. That 5th alarm is to be as follows: 6 engines, 4 tower ladders, and 2 Battalion Chiefs. They are to be assigned as follows: 4 engines, 2 tower ladders, and Battalion Chief to Buffalo into the park. 1 engine, 1 tower ladder, 1 Battalion Chief to Delwitt and Mill. 1 engine, 1 tower ladder to Chesterton and Grayson.
Engs 281, 228, 202, 205, TL114, TL105, Battalion 23 to the park via Buffalo St entrance

E158, TL153, Battalion 58 to Delwitt Ave and Mill Rd

E321, TL131 to Chesterton Ave and Grayson St

Kevin, thanks for posting that video. I think that most people that aren't really too familiar with NYC, really don't realize that they also get their share of brush fires. I was one of them until a buddy of mine dragged me out to Staten Island. That was quite a while ago. We didn't catch any brush fire, but I remember seeing "pump cans" on the Tower Ladder. I couldn't believe it. Not NYC. I only knew of Multiple Dwellings, warehouses, etc. That was when I realized that for a buff, NYC offers every type of fire or emergency that exist out there.
  I realized there were also areas of large brush, and wood frame private houses. I learned that the FDNY experienced every type of condition from those Manhattan Office High Rises, to a small single family ranch home. I've said this before, "if you want to learn Firefighting, it's the place to be". As a buff or a firefighter, the FDNY has it.

mack

Administrator
Deju vu.

Great video, comments, rundown.  Just save them and change the date when Great Kills Park burns again.  As soon as the brush grows back, the potential is there for another major brush fire.  This is a seasonal problem. 

Too bad you can't do controlled burns (wildlife protection, park area). 

SI still has a lot of brush areas, even though a lot of development on the South Shore has reduced brush areas. 

April 23, 1963 must still be SI's worst brush fire day - "Black Saturday".  Three major fires simultaneously - in Tottenville, Mariners Harbor and Rossville - destroyed over 100 houses and countless of acres of brush.  The Tottenville and Rossville fires merged - burned up through Pleasant Plains, Huguenot, Annandale.  Past Al Deppes (Arthur Kill Rd and Richmond Ave).  The water supply system failed.  Water mains did not have capacity.  Off duty members who lived on the Island tried unsuccessfully to save houses with hose lines they obtained at empty firehouses but they had no water pressure. The Verranzano Narrows Bridge was still under construction.  Companies from Brooklyn and Manhattan had to take the ferries (SI Ferry and 69th St Ferry from Bklyn).  The expressways were not built. There were no street signs on many of the South Shore streets and companies quickly lost track of where they were.  Companies just went to work where they were and moved from block to block, neighborhood to neighborhood, trying to keep up with the fire.  You could see engine companies from Jersey City (had to be a least a half dozen) riding up and down Drumgoole Boulevard (which would be replaced by Richmond Pkwy), Arthur Kill Rd and Amboy Road.  The whole Island reeked of smoke for days. 

mack said:
Deju vu.

Great video, comments, rundown.  Just save them and change the date when Great Kills Park burns again.  As soon as the brush grows back, the potential is there for another major brush fire.  This is a seasonal problem. 

Too bad you can't do controlled burns (wildlife protection, park area). 

SI still has a lot of brush areas, even though a lot of development on the South Shore has reduced brush areas. 

April 23, 1963 must still be SI's worst brush fire day - "Black Saturday".  Three major fires simultaneously - in Tottenville, Mariners Harbor and Rossville - destroyed over 100 houses and countless of acres of brush.  The Tottenville and Rossville fires merged - burned up through Pleasant Plains, Huguenot, Annandale.  Past Al Deppes (Arthur Kill Rd and Richmond Ave).  The water supply system failed.  Water mains did not have capacity.  Off duty members who lived on the Island tried unsuccessfully to save houses with hose lines they obtained at empty firehouses but they had no water pressure. The Verranzano Narrows Bridge was still under construction.  Companies from Brooklyn and Manhattan had to take the ferries (SI Ferry and 69th St Ferry from Bklyn).  The expressways were not built. There were no street signs on many of the South Shore streets and companies quickly lost track of where they were.  Companies just went to work where they were and moved from block to block, neighborhood to neighborhood, trying to keep up with the fire.  You could see engine companies from Jersey City (had to be a least a half dozen) riding up and down Drumgoole Boulevard (which would be replaced by Richmond Pkwy), Arthur Kill Rd and Amboy Road.  The whole Island reeked of smoke for days. 

I remember the news reports of these fires,and the companies staging to get on the ferry at in lower Manhattan