An Oldie, But A Goodie

No I'm not referring to a record, however I just heard the Queens dispatcher give the time and then the infamous "KEB 526, Queens Radio, Dispatcher xxx." How long has it been since that was broadcast faithfully at the top of the hour?

Yes i remember that ....before putting on BKLYN we would say "time for a little KEB525".

Any idea of what year Brooklyn and Queens stopped sharing the 154.37 frequency? I'm guessing around 1964-65.

The New York Times of October 19, 1963 reported that FDNY planned to swap frequencies with the Elizabeth, New Jersey Fire Department contingent on FCC approval. FDNY would receive the 153.77 frequency in exchange for giving up the [unused?] 453.15 frequency which then became the EFD's. An amount of cash, $42,000 was appropriated to Elizabeth to "buy modern communications equipment for Elizabeth's Fire Department."

153.77 was to become the Queens Mobile frequency which suggests that Brooklyn and Queens became separate after this.  I guess FDNY needed one more VHF channel.  An official reported "The transfer will improve the efficiency of the New York Fire Department's radio communications".

How about when the Bronx got off of Manhattans frequency of 154.25 MHz and went onto the Staten Island frequency of 154.19 mhz.

I can remember listening to both Manhattan and the Bronx on that same 154.25 channel.

Yes yes the days of yore when we had no radios on the apparatus and used the telegraph key in quarters and in the street boxes., and up to date assignment cards were the order of the day. At Engine 225 we could hear Eng 236, Ladder 107 and the 39 battalion  when they tapped back in from a run or went on a verbal or out of service. Oh yes, we most not forget the THREE rings on the phone. Also speaking of the department radio how many know or remember that the title of the department magazine, "WNYF" was the original radio call letters for the first radios used between the fire boats and head quarters. I must be getting old.

Or this little quip you never hear on the radio any longer....."(Boro) to Batt or Div. xx. You're relief is in quarters."