Another busy Devii's Night in Detroit

I was listening online last night, unreal.  I cannot begin to imagine what it was like during their "War Years"

They currently have around 26 engines, 16 ladder trucks, six squads, 1 Haz-Mat and 9 Chiefs on duty, minus rigs O.O.S, a common occurrence with no money for repairs or new rigs.

336 said:
I was listening online last night, unreal.  I cannot begin to imagine what it was like during their "War Years"

They currently have around 26 engines, 16 ladder trucks, six squads, 1 Haz-Mat and 9 Chiefs on duty, minus rigs O.O.S, a common occurrence with no money for repairs or new rigs.
I don't know how they do it. The DFD are the epitome of "doing more with less", getting the job done, doing the best they can, in very difficult and dangerous conditions.

When all rigs are in service, Detroit Fire runs 25 Engines, 13 Ladders, 6 Squads, 8 Chiefs, and a Shift Commander, as well as a Tac. Unit, or mini-pumper. The DFD serves an area of 138.75 square miles with a population of 681,090. All boxes get 2 & 1, Chief, Squad. The 3rd Engine is added for R.I.T. only when its a confirmed fire. I believe in times of high fire activity (i.e. Devil's Night), 1 Engine or 1 & 1 are sent and an available Chief and/or Squad.

What is the staffing on the units in Detroit and what services do the Squads provide?

Maxim said:
What is the staffing on the units in Detroit and what services do the Squads provide?
I'm not sure about the staffing, but the Squad Companies in Detroit are basically like the Rescue Companies of the FDNY in the duties they perform/services they provide.

BCR

I think all rigs have 4 (LT/Capt driver and two firefighters. There squads I believe are like an FDNY squad company with out the hose and pump, there Appratus aren't quite as big, there size is similar to the new hazmat 1 second piece. Don't forget they regularly or at least used to have a couple companys "browned out" almost everyday. I forget the numbers that were said in the movie "burn" but it was something like fire duty is up 300% and the department is like a quarter of what it was 20-30 years ago. Truely a shame what has happened to that city. The arson numbers out of there from what I am told reflect next to nothing compared to is really going on, only a fraction of the fires can be investigated because there arson unit is so under staffed so I'd it's not investigated it is only listed as suspicious. I think there around 9,000 fires a year

Several years ago, I knew two guys from New Jersey who went out to Detroit on Devils Night. The year was 1984 and when they got back they told me that they never saw anything like it. As they rode down a street there were building fires on both sides with nobody left to respond. They said every place you looked there were fires.

These guys were well seasoned buffs but I thought they must be adding a little more to the story. A few months later, I find out they weren't lying. Firehouse Magazine has a large article written by the late Harvey Eisner. As I recall, the title was "Detroit's Devils Night, 1984 - 200 Buildings Burn".

I would guess now, much like the War Years of the FDNY, after so many buildings burn, there's not much left. Only vacant lots.