ARMED FORCES DAY.

Today is ARMED FORCES DAY......Let us remember those who have Served & those still Serving.....next week let us remember those who have passed to a Higher Level......discuss the meaning of this w/a young person......NEVER FORGET.

The said part is history is not being taught. Ask any kid in school what: Lexington, Yorktown, Bull Run, Antietem, Gettysburg, Chateau Thiery (sp?) Guadacanal, Midway, Iwo Jima, Okinowa, Normandy, Chosen Reservoir, Ia Drang Valley is. Many men, and women paid the ultimate sacrafice so that these kids could wallow in stupidity. A slow hand salute to all who have paid the bill so me, my wife, my children and grand children, and yes my dogs could live in freedom and liberty. I am honored to have served with you, like any vet we NEVER,EVER FORGET your sacrafice. To those who read this, well you know we did the job right, no matter what the politicians or media says. That is directed to ALL Vietnam vets, like me. You, the politicians sent us off to war but limited our ability to wage the war. You limited the use of air power, but when the wraps came off during the Xmas raids over Hanoi with B-52's the scene changed. Too bad it took 58,000 names on a wall to show your grevious mistake. By the way, how many politicians sons, Senate or House of Reps sent their kids off . I think LBJ had someone, flew 123's in country. To all vets we did one helluva job, and to all Vietnam vets, well WELCOME HOME! I am one of you! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I admire and support those in our military services.  I tried to enlist when I turned 18 but a condition I had didn't pass the physical.  I could only focus one eye or the other which I found out that the military wouldn't take someone with this condition.  As an American enjoying the freedom that the military secured for the country the least I could do was take my turn, so to speak, so that the future people of this country could continue to enjoy those same freedoms.  This same eye condition that stopped me from enlisting also kept me from being a member of FDNY as well as the dispatcher program due to the classification that the military gave me.  I had no illusion that my being there in the military would stop the war, I'd just be another soldier doing what his country ask to be done.  To those who served I thank you and welcome you back to America.  Maybe at some point in the future they will upgrade the school systems with the correct information on all the major battles and how they effect the country as well as the impact on those serving in the military at that time.

Steve

svd385 said:
I admire and support those in our military services.  I tried to enlist when I turned 18 but a condition I had didn't pass the physical.  I could only focus one eye or the other which I found out that the military wouldn't take someone with this condition.  As an American enjoying the freedom that the military secured for the country the least I could do was take my turn, so to speak, so that the future people of this country could continue to enjoy those same freedoms.  This same eye condition that stopped me from enlisting also kept me from being a member of FDNY as well as the dispatcher program due to the classification that the military gave me.  I had no illusion that my being there in the military would stop the war, I'd just be another soldier doing what his country ask to be done.  To those who served I thank you and welcome you back to America.  Maybe at some point in the future they will upgrade the school systems with the correct information on all the major battles and how they effect the country as well as the impact on those serving in the military at that time.

Hey Steve, maybe a bad eye kept you from going into the military, or being a member of the FDNY, or a dispatcher. But it didn't keep you from being a good guy.

And yes, our members of the military, past and present are the Heros of Our Country.

One of my favorite web sites that tells the story a lot better than I can. www.patriotfiles.org

Steve

Originally published: May 19, 2012 2:04 PM

Updated: May 19, 2012 3:14 PM

By KEVIN DEUTSCH  kevin.deutsch@newsday.com)

The remains of 57 veterans from Long Island -- whose ashes had sat unclaimed in area funeral homes for years -- were interred during a moving funeral service Saturday at Long Island National Cemetery, Pinelawn.

Organizers said the funeral was the largest ever of its kind in the United States -- and part of a federal initiative aimed at identifying all the unclaimed and abandoned remains of service members.

"It's a shame that these heroes were not buried at the time of their deaths," Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone told a crowd of about 500 veterans and their family members at the service, held on Armed Forces Day. "But we are a nation that does not forget. We'd like to welcome home these veterans to their final resting place."

The remains went unclaimed for various reasons, officials said. Some veterans had no family. In other cases, surviving relatives moved away without claiming the remains.

Among those interred Saturday were Winfield S. Rowland, an Army veteran who fought in the Spanish-American War in 1898 whose remains were unclaimed for 99 years.

Also buried were Samuel C. Anderson, a Navy veteran who fought in World War I, World War II and the Korean War.

Of the veterans buried Saturday, just one had a relative in attendance, organizers said.

Patricia Hartswell, 80, paid her respects to her former father-in-law, World War I veteran Gilbert Elmore.

"I'm very glad to see he is here," said Hartswell of Woodbury. "He was a very honorable man."

The remains of each service member were brought to the cemetery in a golden urn, which pallbearers placed on a table in the shadow of a massive American flag.

As each urn was laid out, the fallen service member's name and branch were read aloud, and a small bell was rung. A pipe band played "Taps" and a color guard marched during the solemn morning service, which brought some attendees to tears.

"To think of the service they gave to their country, and how they ended up nearly being forgotten about, it makes me glad they are having an official military burial," said a tearful Rose Marie Florio, 60, whose nephew, Joseph, was killed in the Vietnam War. "I'm so moved by the fact that our country did not forget about these good men."

In addition to the veterans' remains, those of six family members of veterans were also interred.

The effort to identify and bury the remains was led by the Suffolk County Veterans Service Agency in collaboration with the Missing In America Program, the National Cemetery Administration, the Nassau/Suffolk Funeral Directors Association and a host of other veterans service organizations.

Bellone and the veterans service agency also paid tribute to veterans and active members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard and Reserve units at an afternoon ceremony at Armed Forces Plaza in Hauppauge.