Atlanta FD apparatus Fleet in dire straights

Sad because there are interim options: Vendors with ready to go new engines and tower ladders as well as vendors that make rentals.

Sad because there are interim options: Vendors with ready to go new engines and tower ladders as well as vendors that make rentals.
You are absolutely correct. And the big manufacturers may work with them if they place a big order- it completely sounds like a total case of mismanagement in Atlanta. Been going on for many years.

The Atlanta Fire Department is listed as an ISO Class 1 organization. Among The ISO standards is a requirement of specified manpower, pumping appliances, and ladder equipment to respond within a specified average time period. Luckily, there is no requirement that the specified equipment has to actually work.

If the above is true, then AFD is not a functioning Class 1 department. It would seem that the Insurance Services Office is deceiving their clients-fire insurance companies- into lowering insurance premiums. Or maybe word of AFD's sad state hasn't made it's way to Jersey City.

ISO also requires a minimum amount of reserve apparatus and requires that all apparatus be pump tested and or aerial ladder tested. My suspicions are that they are not doing these tests. On a large fleet like that annual pump and ladder testing always results in a few units having to go into the shops. The Atlanta FF union hopefully is making ISO aware of these issues

My bet is a paper chase to provide documentation. Not sure when the last classification survey was done for Atlanta Fire Rescue but I bet it was over 5 years ago.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Things like this may look attractive but there are a lot of considerations that need to be made specifically for maintenance and training issues. If the apparatus is very different from the rest of the fleet there are going be some major issues with the two items I mentioned. You just can't throw a completely different teeth of apparatus into frontline service without taking things like that into consideration.

Things like this may look attractive but there are a lot of considerations that need to be made specifically for maintenance and training issues. If the apparatus is very different from the rest of the fleet there are going be some major issues with the two items I mentioned. You just can't throw a completely different teeth of apparatus into frontline service without taking things like that into consideration.
I would have to agree and it seems, at a quick glance, most of their trucks are TDAs with a few middle mount sticks intermixed. They have one tower, but it's a rear mount. So it would seem the mid mount tower would probably be a bit of a change for them.

Excellent observations Bulldog. Always made sense to me when the FDNY went to just all Mack pumpers and Seagrave ladders in the 1970s.

But as a kid and a buff in the 1950s it was always a pleasant surprise when visiting a new yet unknown firehouse as to what type of apparatus would be in quarters. Macks, Ward La France, American La France, Ahren's Fox, Seagrave, even some old FWD, Pirsch and Wolters hanging around. And distinctive models of each. How did the shops keep up with all the maintenance, parts, etc., in the days before computer assistance?

I am guessing the Shops' mechanics and clerks were all world War II vets used to working on everything from Jeeps to Destroyers to B-17s. No sweat for those guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: gym
I understand that the apparatus makers are still making new units but if they have the parts for new apparatus shouldn't they also take care of department's older stuff? Oh wait, the older stuff is already paid for.

Capttomo, I could not open the video but this is saying that the Aaron's Fox name still lives? 70 years after their last rig went in service? Who knew?...not me!
In the Summer of 1977 I got to meet Curt Nepper in his shop near downtown Cincinnati. I've still got the AF ashtray he gave me.

Capttomo, I could not open the video but this is saying that the Aaron's Fox name still lives? 70 years after their last rig went in service? Who knew?...not me!
Yes HME bought the naming rights.

Nashville Fire is in the same boat, so much wear and tear, city also got rid of the departments own mechanics and they go to a diesel repair place, and they will sit for weeks... we also no longer have a department tow truck, dispatch just calls next available and you sit and wait on side of road....
Almost 2025 and crazy we still have these issues