Boston 3rd Alarm w/Mayday (Audio) Box 2471 Jamaica Plain 11/27/13

mack

Administrator
Box 3-2471 Boston

0100 Hrs  14 Pond Circle  Jamaica Plain
2 1/2 story occupied

Engine 28 officer fell thru floor - transported with burns to Brighams and Womends Hospital (story below)

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/11/firefighter_thankful_today_for_life_family

Mayday Audio:      http://t.co/cRXbZpNcj1

Boston Fire Lt. Ryan J.
McGovern ? who escaped death battling an early morning blaze in Jamaica Plain ? is grateful to be alive today as he sits down for Thanksgiving dinner with his wife and 9-month-old girl in their Roslindale home.

An Army veteran of three combat tours in Iraq and
Afghanistan before joining the department nine years ago,
McGovern, 33, was searching for the residents of what turned out to be an empty two-story colonial-style home on Pond Circle, when he fell through a floor and got trapped amid the fiery debris of the three-alarm inferno.

McGovern recounted his ordeal to reporter Laurel J. Sweet.

Upon arrival, we observed heavy fire coming from the first and second floor of what we believed to be an occupied building. The time of day (approximately 1 a.m.), the location ... we had to go under the assumption that somebody was inside. So we went forward with an aggressive attack to suppress the fire, but also to get in and do a search to try and rescue anyone necessary.

Within two minutes, a second alarm was called immediately requesting further assistance. This was a well-advanced fire that we were involved in.

From there, Engine 28 stretched an initial attack line into the front door to try and suppress some of that fire so we could get in and begin a primary search, looking for survivors.

I had my crew stand by and I went forward looking for people, but also to see if the fire had extended anywhere.

As I crawled forward, I came out on what was still a solid piece of flooring and heard ? it was like it was in slow motion ? ?crack, crack, crack,? and the floor just let go below me.

Falling halfway through the floor, I was actually able to catch myself with my right leg and my left hand, which resulted in the injuries I have: second- and third-degree burns to my left hand, fingertips. About 75 percent of my right thigh is burned.

As soon as I fell through, I was in a bad spot. I called a Mayday, which brings on what we call a rapid-intervention or RIT team. ... Initially you get on the radio and you actually key the radio mic and call, ?Mayday, Mayday, Mayday.? Then you give your location, identification and your problem.

In my case, ?Engine 28 officer Lt. Ryan McGovern. I was on the first floor, I fell through the floor almost in the basement. I?m trapped, I need some help.?

It was excruciatingly painful. My legs were literally burning beneath me.

I knew my brothers in arms were coming to get me. It was controlled chaos. I heard the sounds of fighting a fire in a house, and all the radio talk was about trying to find me.

I didn?t know what conditions were in the basement, so I was under the assumption that they were worse. I didn?t want to go through the floor further. I?ve got a family, I?ve got a wife, I?ve got a child. I wasn?t going to go out in a hole in somebody?s house. It?s not my style.

While (his fellow firefighters) were deployed, coming after me, I was actually able to rescue myself out of the hole, to move forward. I got out.

It took a lot of work, it took a lot of maneuvering, but eventually I was able to disentangle myself and was able to crawl out of the hole and get myself free. ... I was very fortunate. ...

I met up with EMS and was transported to Brigham and Women?s Hospital for treatment.

Before McGovern hunkers down for his Turkey Day feast this afternoon, he said he?ll count his blessings.

I?m going to say how thankful I am to have another day at the Thanksgiving table. I?m thankful for my life. I?m thankful for my family. I?m thankful to spend another Thanksgiving Day with my family.