Boston's New Rearmounts

I saw Boston received two new E-One rearmounts (here's a link to a photo http://www.firenews.org/mass/b/boston/ladders/BostonL7new16.jpg ).
Aluminum body and aerial with single rear axle. I'd be curious to know how these news rigs are regarded by the companies receiving them.

Bulldog

Bulldog
It will be especially interested to see how well the aluminum bodies (as well as ladders) hold up over time with heavy use. It's also interesting that they bought single axle units but I guess since the weigh left with the aluminum bodies they could get away with it.

Remember! FDNY had single axle rear mount Seagrave Aerials. They held up just fine and many are still in service with other FD's. But of course they didn't carry all the equipment the truck companies of today now carry!

kfd274 said:
What is the ladder length?  Truck looks short in the picture posted
100'. The new Boston rigs are 2016 E-One "Metro 100" 100' Rear-Mounts, part of an order of 8. L7 and L25 are the first Boston truck companies to receive the new rigs. Currently, most if not all frontline Boston rear mount aerials are dual-axle.

http://www.e-one.com/product/metro-100/

7,11,19&25 are the first 4 of 8, they are all in and going to have companies training on them. From what I'm told the job is trying to get rid of all the Pierce sticks, 15 & 21 are supposedly slatted for 2 of the next 4 due by the end of the year with 15s truck being refuted and reassigned.

Bulldog

Bulldog
CFDMarshal said:
Remember! FDNY had single axle rear mount Seagrave Aerials. They held up just fine and many are still in service with other FD's. But of course they didn't carry all the equipment the truck companies of today now carry!
They also were not aluminum body trucks. I've read many articles about aluminum body failing because of fatigue issues over time. It's lightweight but it's really not as strong as you are led to believe it is.

The main reason the FDNY went to tandem axles was to have another set of brakes as the rigs got heavier

soda-acid said:
The main reason the FDNY went to tandem axles was to have another set of brakes as the rigs got heavier

No, not so much.

They have a tandem rear because a single axle wouldn't be able to carry the load.  The amount of equipment and a steel aerial make the truck too heavy for a single axle, not because additional braking is needed.  The need for weight bearing and weight distribution come first, followed by extra braking.

Just as an FYI for those following BFD, at this point, 15 E-One Metros are in service, 3 more on order, replacing all but 2 of the aerials, 1 E-One Tower has been placed in service, leaving 1 KME tower in service with another twin E-One tower on order. By next year the ladder fleet will be all E-Ones with the exception of L16 a 2015 KME.

1261 Truckie at this time no plans have been made to replace it, 16 was 1 of 4 KME rear mounts but had a different motor that wasn't part of the motor issues that plagued BFD, sounds like the members of 16 like the truck. Im sure plans will change, I wouldn't be surprised to see an order for 2 more Metros to bring the fleet up to all the same trucks. The only reason TL 10 is getting a new tower is that BFD spare tower ladder failed at a fire that im sure most people saw. The 2015 KME assigned to TL10 is OOS after an accident involved a tree and the trucsk bucket during a massive ice storm, tree was hanging much lower than normal. The truck is headed back to PA for massive repairs around $100k in damage. BFD runs TL 3&10 one TL in each division of the city, with no spare and the current truck OOS the plan is to have front line E-Ones and the KME as a dedicated TL spare.