Budget crisis

baileyjeff

Just read that there is a possibility of closing anywhere between 10-30 companies... any truth to this rumor?

soda-acid

When the money gets tight (and it will) everything that will save a few bucks will be on the table. It will be much worse than the 70's.

When you fail to remember history you will repeat it. 1975 I was Captain of 82 engine. I was number 22 on the BC promotion list that had just been established, with 40 vacancies at that time. Budget crisis hit. I received a call from Billy Hunter (RIP), a friend, who was President of the UFOA. Billy told me that I was going to be demoted in a few days back to Lieutenant so the city could save money with numerous demotions. When you can't do something about something all you can do is accept it, so I did. But, at that time the city had a police commissioner with balls. He told the mayor that he would not demote any of his officers. The demotions never came about. I wasn't promoted to BC for over a year but that was O.K. But what wasn't O.K. was after the layoff of firefighters, the lifting and transferring unhappy ff's into other companies the morale of the department was destroyed.

For 100 years the FDNY and NYPD thought of ourselves as "special" to the people of the city. We ran into burning buildings as people were running out, the police put themselves between the bad guys and the people every day. I remember one year during the war years we had 18 line of duty deaths. But 1975 changed all of that, we were no different than any other city employee. I don't believe that has ever changed back. 2020 will remind us of it.

nfd2004

When you fail to remember history you will repeat it. 1975 I was Captain of 82 engine. I was number 22 on the BC promotion list that had just been established, with 40 vacancies at that time. Budget crisis hit. I received a call from Billy Hunter (RIP), a friend, who was President of the UFOA. Billy told me that I was going to be demoted in a few days back to Lieutenant so the city could save money with numerous demotions. When you can't do something about something all you can do is accept it, so I did. But, at that time the city had a police commissioner with balls. He told the mayor that he would not demote any of his officers. The demotions never came about. I wasn't promoted to BC for over a year but that was O.K. But what wasn't O.K. was after the layoff of firefighters, the lifting and transferring unhappy ff's into other companies the morale of the department was destroyed.

For 100 years the FDNY and NYPD thought of ourselves as "special" to the people of the city. We ran into burning buildings as people were running out, the police put themselves between the bad guys and the people every day. I remember one year during the war years we had 18 line of duty deaths. But 1975 changed all of that, we were no different than any other city employee. I don't believe that has ever changed back. 2020 will remind us of it.
Thank you Chief and I TOTALLY AGREE with your FIRST Sentence.

"When you fail to remember history you will repeat it".

That is so true. As I remember, when that 1975 budget crisis hit NYC the FDNY laid off 300 firefighters. Some were given other jobs like bus drivers etc if they were lucky. They also closed 50 Fire Companies during the busiest time for fire activity ever.

I remember thinking that if they can do that in NYC they certainly could do that in other cities. And that's exactly what followed. Other cities closed firehouses and fire companies. My father was on the job in Bridgeport, Ct and my brother was hoping to get on the job there. On a much smaller scale, Bridgeport went from 15 Engine Cos and 5 Ladders to 10 Engine Cos and 4 Ladders. They kept the only Rescue Co they had.

Bridgeport also laid off 20 firefighters as well. It was also a time when similar to the FDNY War Years, Bridgeport's fire activity was just starting to increase.

I remember my father, who grew up in the Great Depression saying that "even during that time, they never closed any fire companies and laid off firefighters".

I had also taken on a job as a firefighter myself. I was the latest hired and would be the first fired. As a young guy, I had just bought my first home and was planning on getting married in a few months. I just happened to hit it the right time though because some guys were getting ready to retire. As a result I never got laid off.

If the FDNY does close companies I would guess that other cities will follow.

Whether it's the FDNY, Bridgeport, or here in small town Norwich, Ct, cities need to focus on what the highest priorities are. The funding of our police, firefighters, ems, teachers, public works, sanitation, etc need to be placed at the TOP of the List.

Last edited:

tem217

very well said..
i was laid off from the NYPD on 7/1/75 (My career NYPD 4/74-7/81..FDNY 7/81-7/07)
still to this day a very sore subject....hoping history doesnt repeat itself harming our newest members

ta176

During the layoffs in the mid 70's arson in vacant buildings was rampant. So today there are less vacant building fires and more occupied structure fires. So unfortunately the tax payers are the ones that are going to suffer big time with delayed responses and possibly no one available. I remember Dispatchers calling on the radio anyone available in Brownsville or East New York during the wear years.

lucky

I was lifted out of the engine to another house at that time. Another fireman was lifted into the truck on the same order. The captains complained but the job said that they could care less. Like ****** said above, it killed the morale.

wfd444

This Mayor has no regard for the NYPD or FDNY, it is frightening to think what he is capable of doing, and destroying history and lives is his forte.
The mayor good or bad didnt cause the virus nor deficit so plz keep ur political opinions out of it n realize the reality is not politics but economics; what is YOUR suggested solution to this shortfall prey tell???

JohnnyGage

WFD, Who said anything about a virus or politics? the Mayor has simply mismanaged the city in all aspects and the results are obvious, way before the virus the city was on a downward economic spiral, I might ad, no opinion, fact. Just when you think things couldn't get any worse, they do.

Last edited:

den114

wfd444

WFD, Who said anything about a virus or politics? the Mayor has simply mismanaged the city in all aspects and the results are obvious, way before the virus the city was on a downward economic spiral, I might ad, no opinion, fact. Just when you think things couldn't get any worse, they do.
This is a fire forum not a grievance forum for you to air out your political prejudices please stick to fire and keep politics out of it they cause divisions and obscure the real issues facing the FDNY.

den114

How long will it be before they will start “working “ on FDNY retirees pensions & the rest of city & state pensioner’s?
No tax $’s coming in to state & city coffers. Businesses closed, people leaving the city, firms no longer need all the office space with their employees now working from home.
Not good.

JohnnyGage

This is a fire forum not a grievance forum for you to air out your political prejudices please stick to fire and keep politics out of it they cause divisions and obscure the real issues facing the FDNY.
Pardon me, The above title states "Budget Crisis", topic goes beyond your one note of politics and fire forum. Mismanagement does affect FDNY, and that is a real issue. Mayor BeBlasio has taken a vibrant city, his careless and mismangement ignorance has caused the city to implode, well before the virus. His fecklessness will affect many Brother firefighters and Police Officers. I think your living in a bubble if you cannot correlate the two, my friend.

nfd2004

We have many firefighters on this site, as well as police officers too. Earlier in reply number 4, I gave a story in which I voiced my opinion, even as a firefighter OUTSIDE of the NYC borders.

Many times what happens in a city the size of New York many other smaller cities will be affected as well. With any closing of fire companies it also affects the safety and lives of the people who live there. In this case not only firefighters and police officers BUT citizens as well.

As long as this discussion can present facts and there are no personnel attacks among us, I see no reason why anyone should NOT be able to voice their opinion on a forum which is about firefighters and has a direct impact on firefighters.

A few years ago the mayor put his wife in charge of a new social program. A billion (yeah with a B not a M) program. She is said to have given her friends a number of high paying jobs. When asked recently what this program accomplished she, and the city, could not show one area of improvement in a social program. How many cops, firefighters, school teachers etc. etc. could be hired; or kept, with an extra billion dollars in the budget. It has been predicted that when America falls it will fall from within. When we see today what is happening in Seattle, Portland, Baltimore and New York City, I think unfortunately we now have the W.

JohnnyGage

Releasing prisoners, running the school system into the ground, ignoring subway issues, homeless expansion and negligent federal housing, those arrested are let loose, ignoring "broken windows" theory...way before any virus, this started seven years ago. And I totally agree with Chief ********, from Nikita Khrushchev's chilling prediction: "We will take America without firing a shot, we will destroy you from within"- 1956.

IRISH

As another "outsider" looking in I would really fear what's ahead.

There's gonna be countless job loses and I can see a tsunami of mental health issues to come off the back of this global pandemic

in 12/18/24 months time FDNY & NYPD could be busier then ever