Budget crisis

raybrag

I'm another outsider, with no oar in the water. But I found this on Facebook, and it blew my mind. To paraphrase Private Webster (from Band of Brothers) . . . "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING????"

!.jpg
!!.jpg

8060rock

^^^^^^^ 'FAKE LETTER WARNS OF LAYOFFS | TPR

'FAKE LETTER WARNS OF LAYOFFS
Corey Johnson warns of ‘fake’ letter circulating on layoffs at NYC agenciesby Susan Edelman - NY Post - 8/22/20

fake-letter.jpg
A letter purporting to outline layoffs at every city agency is a fake, City Council Speaker Corey Johnson said today.
The alarming missive, which gives an alleged breakdown of layoffs by city agency, appears on City Council letterhead with the purported signatures of Johnson and council members Daniel Dromm and Vanessa Gibson on the “budget negotiating team.”“This letter is FAKE,” Johnson tweeted. “We support the workers who have kept our city running through COVID, and want to work w/them to help NYC rebuild even stronger.”The bogus letter says a $9 billion budget gap “leads us to the ultimate decision to terminate and furlough New York City employees for more savings.”It’s unknown who fabricated the letter, or who circulated it.Oren Barzilay, president of the city’s EMT union, said he received a copy from “our delegates,” but it was unclear where they got it.fake-letter-1.jpg
corey-johnson.jpg
Corey Johnson - NYC Council Speaker
Posted 8 hours ago by Unknown

Bulldog

Bulldog
10% +/- cuts for FDNY and NYPD? That's totally ridiculous and will cause huge problems. It's utterly ridiculous and something that citizens of New York have to stop using whatever means is necessary.

manhattan

Thank you Chief and I TOTALLY AGREE with your FIRST Sentence.

"When you fail to remember history you will repeat it".

That is so true. As I remember, when that 1975 budget crisis hit NYC the FDNY laid off 300 firefighters. Some were given other jobs like bus drivers etc if they were lucky. They also closed 50 Fire Companies during the busiest time for fire activity ever.

I remember thinking that if they can do that in NYC they certainly could do that in other cities. And that's exactly what followed. Other cities closed firehouses and fire companies. My father was on the job in Bridgeport, Ct and my brother was hoping to get on the job there. On a much smaller scale, Bridgeport went from 15 Engine Cos and 5 Ladders to 10 Engine Cos and 4 Ladders. They kept the only Rescue Co they had.

Bridgeport also laid off 20 firefighters as well. It was also a time when similar to the FDNY War Years, Bridgeport's fire activity was just starting to increase.

I remember my father, who grew up in the Great Depression saying that "even during that time, they never closed any fire companies and laid off firefighters".

I had also taken on a job as a firefighter myself. I was the latest hired and would be the first fired. As a young guy, I had just bought my first home and was planning on getting married in a few months. I just happened to hit it the right time though because some guys were getting ready to retire. As a result I never got laid off.

If the FDNY does close companies I would guess that other cities will follow.

Whether it's the FDNY, Bridgeport, or here in small town Norwich, Ct, cities need to focus on what the highest priorities are. The funding of our police, firefighters, ems, teachers, public works, sanitation, etc need to be placed at the TOP of the List.
Well said, Bill.

I think you answered the question Bill with your remembrance", they also closed 50 fire companies during the busiest time for fire activity ever." If they could do it then, what will prevent them from doing it now, nothing. If you take the Speakers letter with 1000 uniform laid off, and an average of around 20 uniform per company, there is your 50 companies again, history repeating?

8060rock

BullDog - read the article - as Lebby stated, the letter has been debunked (fake)

entropychaser

The city will handle the budget shortfall the same way they did before. In the Great Depression, 11,000 school teachers (who owed no loyalty to Tammany Hall)were fired. On the other hand, city lifeguards (old, fat, alcoholic, couldn't swim, politically connected) were kept.

Lebby

The next chapter of this crisis, the Citizen's Budget Commison's proposal. FYI, "ambulance flexible staffing" would be a medic with a EMT, not the current two medics or two EMTs.

Attachments

twoteamtease

The next chapter of this crisis, the Citizen's Budget Commison's proposal. FYI, "ambulance flexible staffing" would be a medic with a EMT, not the current two medics or two EMTs.
Nobody ever takes the CBC seriously. They are merely a “think tank” of questionably competent individuals who are constantly attacking civil service.

And they always report and use slanted stats: Ie, combining both Fire and EMS agency stats to claim there are “no fires”