Cairnes Leather New Yorker Circa 1968

I wonder if someone out there might be able to help identify the model of the Cairnes Leather New Yorker I purchased (used) when I joined the first volly department I belonged to back in 1968 in the Bronx.  I had to go out to NJ to get it sized, there is no webbing inside the helmet.  Sizing was done with a brass or copper ring that was pressed into the helmet once it was sized.  The ear/neck flaps were held in with this ring.  Any and all tags, decals had worn off or were torn.  The metal cap and internal metal center tag is missing as well as the eagle that holds the top of the front piece is also missing.  I added the burke shields around 1972ish, but they are gone at this point.  There was no chin strap or rings to attach chin straps.  I used this helmet from 1968 through 1977. Any help would be appreciated. 

Steve

Model 5A was the model before the N5A came out, which was around the mid 80's . Don't know how long ago the model 5A first came out or when that particular model number was first used

Back when you first got the helmet I believe the chin strap was not standard but, an additional accessory if requested.

I have a leather helmet from around the 60's. I'll check and see if there's a model number inside and send you a message.

Some of the members here that operated during that time period may have more definitive/accurate answers foryou.

If I recall correctly, at the Probie school on Welfare Island there were Cairns New Yorkers with the clips for straps that were used until the probies received their personal fitted helmets. These were just helmets with generic head sizes to use by whomever.

I think this one is a 5A but wasn't sure if it might be a different model number.

When I moved to Jersey and joined the local fire company I was issued (according to the label inside)
a model 5A with the adjustable liner size medium with the clips for a chin strap and the Bourke eye shields. 
The date on the label was 1975 even though I was issued it in 1983.

Yeah its a 5A.  I know they have been around since 1955.  I have one in great condition from that year with the manufacturers sticker still in the dome.  Believe it or not, I found it in a dumpster on the side of a volley house upstate as I was throwing out some garbage from my car.