Camden, NJ Mayor Plans To Lay Off Entire PD

Chief, thats a real tough town. I used to go down there with Wa and some other guys for Mischief Night (like Detroit Devils Night) had a great time every time we went but we watched ourselves and the surrounding crowds as alot was going on.I've been in some real tough areas of the boroughs in NY, but a small city that size makes it seem overwhelming.I also thought the firefighters were an aggressive bunch much like NY,Engine 7 on Kaighns Ave went on every box in the city( phone alarm) as well as Rescue 1. Camden also had some interesting apparatus, E-ones,Hahns etc but a certain COD who was a personal friend of ours finally got the Seagraves, He retired shortly after that as he saw the handwriting on the wall.  Thanks for the article.

Isn't Camden one of the most dangerous cities to live in, along with East St. Louis. Gary used to be but most people left after the steel mills went OOS. I have been to Gary, there are parts that rival the Bronx. By the way does the mayor keep his private detail?? And does he have to live in Camden?? :mad: :mad:

grumpy grizzly said:
Isn't Camden one of the most dangerous cities to live in, along with East St. Louis. Gary used to be but most people left after the steel mills went OOS. I have been to Gary, there are parts that rival the Bronx. By the way does the mayor keep his private detail?? And does he have to live in Camden?? :mad: :mad:

The mayor is a she and i dont think she lives in the city.

Camden is currently the most dangerous town in America. The city is around 10 square miles in size with a population of around 70,000. So far, there have been a total of 42 homicides in the city this year alone. It's almost like Detroit's little brother of sorts. The mayor is a she and she doesn't live in the city.

To put into context, Bridgeport, CT for example is a city twice it's size and has had 15 homicides this year, and it is considered to be a pretty tough place.

Also to put into context, Gary, IN had 51 homicides in 2006, with the same population as Camden more or less, but only tripple the land area.

The Camden FD is a really "ghetto" fire department as FF Gabe Angemi(CFD Rescue 1) would put it. The CFD currently operates 6 Fire Stations in 2 Battalions across the city. Often, like as is the case in Yonkers, NY, there is only 1 Battalion on a day. The CFD also operates an apparatus fleet of 4 Engines, 3 Ladders, 1 Squad, 1 Rescue, 1 Haz-Mat. Unit, 1 Special Operations Unit, and 1 Fireboat. For a small fire department, they run at least 4-5 jobs a month. Anything above a worker in the city requires mutual aid. They had a fire a while back that fully engulfed three attached rowhouses, which they handled with their whole department only. I'm not even sure if they had a R.I.T. on scene. Just another example of how these guys really do more with less.

fdny1075k said:
Camden is currently the most dangerous town in America. The city is around 10 square miles in size with a population of around 70,000. So far, there have been a total of 42 homicides in the city this year alone. It's almost like Detroit's little brother of sorts. The mayor is a she and she doesn't live in the city.

To put into context, Bridgeport, CT for example is a city twice it's size and has had 15 homicides this year, and it is considered to be a pretty tough place.

Also to put into context, Gary, IN had 51 homicides in 2006, with the same population as Camden more or less, but only tripple the land area.

The Camden FD is a really "ghetto" fire department as FF Gabe Angemi(CFD Rescue 1) would put it. The CFD currently operates 6 Fire Stations in 2 Battalions across the city. Often, like as is the case in Yonkers, NY, there is only 1 Battalion on a day. The CFD also operates an apparatus fleet of 4 Engines, 3 Ladders, 1 Squad, 1 Rescue, 1 Haz-Mat. Unit, 1 Special Operations Unit, and 1 Fireboat. For a small fire department, they run at least 4-5 jobs a month. Anything above a worker in the city requires mutual aid. They had a fire a while back that fully engulfed three attached rowhouses, which they handled with their whole department only. I'm not even sure if they had a R.I.T. on scene. Just another example of how these guys really do more with less.

Thank you for that information. As you know, I am aware of the conditions in Bridgeport, Ct. and its considered to be one tough town. Nobody goes there for a vacation. But based on your statement, Camden makes Bridgeport look like the quiet suburbs.

May not be such a bad idea to join a county based police dept, but I don't agree with laying off those Camden Cops to do it. They, and ONLY THEY, are familiar with dealing with the worst streets in this Country.

fdny1075k said:

I went to Camden in July, While speaking to firefighters they said they average 4-5 fires a week, but also are down to 2 ladders as Rescue and ladder 2 are crossed staffed and an additional ladder gets browned out each day. There is hardly any spares left around so if a ladder goes oos they replace it with a frontline unit.

anesti said:
fdny1075k said:

I went to Camden in July, While speaking to firefighters they said they average 4-5 fires a week, but also are down to 2 ladders as Rescue and ladder 2 are crossed staffed and an additional ladder gets browned out each day. There is hardly any spares left around so if a ladder goes oos they replace it with a frontline unit.
Yup. Ladder 2 goes OOS to mann the Rescue or any other Special Unit. Meanwhile, one of the other two Ladder Co.'s, usually Ladder 1 gets browned out daily. Also, Ladder 2 will get browned out if one of the other two Ladders go down for maintenance, since there are no spare ladders in the city. At least the brothers of the CFD got a new Squad 7 and a new Ladder 2. Once the new Ladder 2 goes into service, the old Ladder 2 will become the city-wide spare. I also believe the old Squad 7 will be the frontline spare Engine/Squad.

Anybody want to make a weekday trip to Camden with me. Its been awhile since I've been there (about 20 years). Stop at one or two of the houses and give those guys a little support. I'm serious about it. Send me a pm if anybody is interested. Leave the Bronx in the AM and drive down, I guess about two hours.

RIP-Camden K9 dies after being left in RMP with non-working A/C

08/13/12 06:41:20

Police K9 Left In Car By Handler Dies When A/C Malfunctions Aug 13, 2012 1:00 p.m. The Camden Police Department has launched an investigation into the death of a K9 officer. "Serge" was found unresponsive by his handler. Officer Gabriel Rodriguez found the animal inside his police car last Thursday. Temperatures were in the 90s outside, which means inside the car they were significantly higher. Camden police officials say the initial report indicates the air conditioner was broken. Serge had only been on the force since May and had already helped police gather evidence in a recent bank robbery. This is the fourth heat related police K9 death in the last month in the United States. Heartbreaking story.-R.I.P.