Carbon Dioxide Units

F

Fireinfo101

Does the FDNY have any apparatus unit/s that deal with carbon dioxide? e.g. the SFFD has a apparatus dedicated in dealing with carbon dioxide situations.

I don't believe FDNY has true Carbon dioxide units.  They do have Purple K Units.  Man: PK33, PK84  SI: PK163  Brkn: PK228, PK229 and Quns: PK326.

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
Don?t think he?s talking about carbon monoxide (CO) incidents that can be handled by hazmat. I believe he?s talking about the trucks in SF that carry CO2 and are able to extinguish manhole fires quickly.

Here?s a video of how the truck works: https://youtu.be/T9Rqihp4mDI

Bulldog

Bulldog
Does anybody know any specifications for that piece of apparatus? It looks like it carries a whole bunch of fire extinguishers in addition to the central tank of CO2. Anybody know how large that central tank is?  Watching them operate the CO2 nozzle I wonder why they pulled one valve and then another one?  Certainly the tank (or even a portion of it) lasts a lot longer than it did when they changed the valves.

I guess they use CO2 instead of the Fire & Ice agent that FDNY uses.

Years ago the Air Force used CO2 crash trucks. They were still around in the mid 60's.