Chicago ambulance stolen, high speed chase (delayed)

A Chicago Fire Department ambulance, Unit # 66, was stolen from the quarters of Engine 8/Truck 4 in the Chinatown section of the city late yesterday afternoon. The perp led law enforcement officials, including Chicago, County, and Illinois State Police on a 60+ mile chase on I-55. He was apprehended in Dwight @Mm 217 with the assistance of canine units. I do not have information if the unit was running or not.

A Chicago Fire Department ambulance, Unit # 66, was stolen from the quarters of Engine 8/Truck 4 in the Chinatown section of the city late yesterday afternoon. The perp led law enforcement officials, including Chicago, County, and Illinois State Police on a 60+ mile chase on I-55. He was apprehended in Dwight @Mm 217 with the assistance of canine units. I do not have information if the unit was running or not.
Wait a minute. You mean to tell us this guy did this in quarters with an officer standing watch right there in his "office"?

Wait a minute. You mean to tell us this guy did this in quarters with an officer standing watch right there in his "office"?
It's actually parked outside the station. I've seen that station before, it's located in Chicago's Chinatown. It's a 2 bay station that houses an Engine, Ladder Truck, Ambulance, and Battalion Chief, the latter two being parked outside.

Attachments

• Chicago Station 8 (3).JPG
    Chicago Station 8 (3).JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 11

mack

Administrator
My father would tell a story about a BC wagon stolen right out of the firehouse when he made BC back in early 1970s. A proby was on housewatch. He saw the BC vehicle starting up and figured the chief was leaving quarters for battalion business. He ran out into the street to stop traffic for the thief to drive away. Never looked at who was in the vehicle. My father arrived for work, saw the empty location for the chief's vehicle, figured they were out on a run, left his turnout gear in place for battalion return, went up to the BC office and was surprised to find the outgoing BC and aide. It was only then that they realized the BC wagon was missing. PD found the missing vehicle, taken for a joyride.