COVID UPDATES

nfd2004

Members of this site.

Please feel free to pass onto the members any schedules for the COVID Vaccines that you hear about, as well as locations.

Also any thoughts you might have after you have received your first or second shot. Any side effects etc.

Currently, I know in New York State the age for shots is 65 years and older. Here in Connecticut that age requirement is 75 years old or older.

You may notice that the thread "ADDED COVID PROTECTION" in General Discussion is no longer on this site. I apologize to the members who posted on that topic with Updates and Schedules on that topic. In trying to delete my original post, the entire thread was deleted.

So PLEASE contribute any information to the members and visitors of this site, regarding the Covid Shots, Updates, Schedules, or your own thoughts after receiving your Covid shot(s).

nfd2004

From a Retired FDNY member nicknamed "Whitefish";

Between now and through Monday (2/22), Retired FDNY Members UNDER 65 years old may be able to get a Covid shot by calling:

(718) 999-2611 - option 1

Thank you Chief T for that information.

nfd2004

I received my first Covid shot (Pfizer) this morning.

I had signed up about two weeks ago but people were told to plan on four weeks before being notified to be scheduled for the shot.

One friend was able to set up an appointment for him and his wife in mid March, about 45 miles from their home by checking online about 2:30 am.

Another guy got a scheduled appointment also in mid March about 20 miles from his home.

After some concerns of my own and having friends (some from this site) telling me that they have gotten BOTH shots with very little problem, I decided that I would go online (last night 2/18) to see if anything is available sooner.

As soon as I went on, I found one available today at 11 am. The site was only about two miles from my home. Apparently someone might have cancelled out due to the snow storm.

So in very little time, I got my first shot today.

After checking in and going through the process I got the shot. No problem at all at that point.

After getting the shot, they want you to sit in another area for about 15 minutes to make sure there is no reaction.

As I sat down I felt a strange warming feeling in my chest area. I also felt a little dizzy and weak. I looked around and I thought, "I'm gonna pass out here". That lasted about a minute and a half and then I started feeling better. Maybe it was just a nervous reaction (???).

As I write this now about 8 hours later, I feel GREAT and I'm GLAD I DID IT.

During that time, they scheduled me for my next shot which will be at a different location about 30-35 minutes away.

Meanwhile, across the street is a testing site. I didn't really look but I know there's been some very dedicated workers who have been out there in the cold, testing people who might need it.

Sometimes I get kind of ticked off with the customer service these days. But I can tell you, there's still a lot of good people out there willing to do a difficult job trying to keep us all healthy.
What would we do without them ?

Last edited:

nfd2004

Had my first vaccine Jan 21 and scheduled for second March 1.

That's because we all know that you're a real old man and they put you at the front of the line. Way ahead of my age group, up to age 75 years old.

Signal73

First one was the 11th of February 2nd one is March 4th

I’ve heard mixed things about the 2nd one. Some people state they are fine after words. I’ve had a few friends the next day feel like a truck hit them and it lasts about 30 hours

kidfrmqns

First one was the 11th of February 2nd one is March 4th

I’ve heard mixed things about the 2nd one. Some people state they are fine after words. I’ve had a few friends the next day feel like a truck hit them and it lasts about 30 hours
Had my 1st one December 26 and my 2nd January 23. Started feeling lousy 12 hours after the 2nd shot. Felt like hell for 24 hours and then felt fine. Definitely better than actually having COVID.

johnd248

That's because we all know that you're a real old man and they put you at the front of the line. Way ahead of my age group, up to age 75 years old.
Thanks Willy D, but I was put in the first responder category through one of my fire departments, regardless of age!

nfd2004

I am being told that Pfizer has less reactions. With Moderna people may have a mild reaction. But whatever any vaccine is available, Get It.

Those are the words of someone who knows much more about it than I do.

In my own case, yesterday I got my first shot. It was Pfizer and today I feel fine. I can notice in my arm that I did get the shot but it doesn't really bother me unless I think about it.

Now, I'm ready and willing to get my second shot.

I need to tell you, I sure was up tight about getting this shot. But I took it just like a Big Grown Up Boy. "I just wish they had lollipops to give out after the shot". Maybe I'll make that recommendation when I get my second one.

68jk09

FYI if you are looking for covid vaccine for a family member or friend not actually FDNY...... last night at 0215 hrs we were cruising the phone & online sites as we have been doing for quite awhile with no luck .....this particular number finally had a hit... 877-829-4692 .......as with the other attempts you have to answer several questions before they tell you if anything is available or not....ALL attempts previous online & phone to various sites & numbers had been NOT but last night at 0215 hrs they said you can have 0300 hrs at Citi Field tonight ....we immediately shot over there ....my Wife got a Pfizer shot & was out by 0530 hrs with a return scheduled for 3-16 1500 hrs.

lucky

A friend of mine was lucky enough to Get on the Northwell site and was doing fine answering the questions until she was asked if she lived in public housing. It was funny but after she responded with a no, she was told that no vaccine was available.

68jk09

Yes a main question on any site whether online or phone is "what is your zip code".....after having gone through many of these sites repeatedly i do not understand why on the phone they could not just state whether shots were available or not at this time rather than all the redundant questions then telling you nothing was available ?

ta176

I received 2nd shot Sunday at Totten and Monday I was a little under the weather, not firing on all eight, but today back to normal. A big sigh of relief.

Lebby

I got my first dose on the first day they gave it without any issue, then a month later I got my second. After which I became very sick, running a high fever for three days. The job was very easy to work with, gave me three days, for a total of seven days off of work to recover. Thankful for how lucky we are to have been given it so quickly. Also thankful for how efficient it was ran.