"Crash Tax"

What a dumb-bell idea.  I would expect delayed 911 calls for every sort of incident you can imagine.

bklyndisp54 said:
What a dumb-bell idea.  I would expect delayed 911 calls for every sort of incident you can imagine.
  Dumb idea is right. Another "Brain Wizard Desk Commando" doing some thinking.

B

Bigandy

I'm telling you, pretty soon the prisoners will have control of the asylum. Unbelievable  ???

NYC Hosp Corp charges you for emergency ambulance service in NYC already.  In Nassau County when the Nassau Police Ambulance responds you pay also. A Chief friend of mine told me you shouldn't call 911 for ambulance service in Nassau but rather call your Volunteer FD who will dispatch an ambulance/rescue and not bill you. Who has time to think of such things when it's a real emergency?

As dumb as it sounds...it's actually pretty common. I for one do not agree with it. To me its "double taxation". Citizens already pay their taxes and donate to the local fire company and then you get hit with a bill for service...just not right.

There are several companies in my region that bill for fire service...they make a buck off the citizens misfortune. One of these companies actually has a "table" for fees...Used a PPV fan...$10...Used 2 Salvage covers...$5 a piece...Used a vent saw on the roof...$20...the list goes on. Thats on top of the flat base $350 fee. That same company also has "Rescue" fees...they use a Hydraulic tool on your car at a wreck and you get a bill. Not sure what that fee is. It rediculous! I don't know what happens if the person doesn't pay though?!?

I guess EMS billing falls into the same catagory...

B

Bigandy

Roofman4 said:
As dumb as it sounds...it's actually pretty common. I for one do not agree with it. To me its "double taxation". Citizens already pay their taxes and donate to the local fire company and then you get hit with a bill for service...just not right.

There are several companies in my region that bill for fire service...they make a buck off the citizens misfortune. One of these companies actually has a "table" for fees...Used a PPV fan...$10...Used 2 Salvage covers...$5 a piece...Used a vent saw on the roof...$20...the list goes on. Thats on top of the flat base $350 fee. That same company also has "Rescue" fees...they use a Hydraulic tool on your car at a wreck and you get a bill. Not sure what that fee is. It rediculous! I don't know what happens if the person doesn't pay though?!?

I guess EMS billing falls into the same catagory...

Is it common to charge like this? This person's house didn't just burn to the ground or anything. I really don't understand anything anymore...

My Department started this 2 or 3 years ago. We only charged drivers who were not citizens of the city. Over time, it's gone away as none of the officers fill out the paperwork to submit to the vic's insurance company!

We also charged for various things: Extrication, Cleanup, Landing Zone (Medical Helicopter)...

Yeah Big Andy...sadly, it is true. The thing that bothers me the most about it is, I'm in a area of the country where the VFD's are far better off compared the most of the rest of the country. For the most part these companies they have large mail out fund drives. All of their gear is issued by the county. Maintanence, fuel and insurance for the rigs is budgeted and paid by the county. Their electric, phone, cable, cleaning supplies etc...on and on...is paid for by the county...WITH TAXPAYER MONEY! When they do a fundraiser, dinner or a carnival, the majority of the money is used on apparatus.

I'm within a 30 mile radius of DC...It gives one a true appreciation of what other VFD's around the country have to do to survive without a county or muni gov't to help them. We have a few single station dept's...(you pick the county)...that get upwards of$50,000...$75,000...$100,000 or $150,000. PER YEAR! Some maybe more...for all I know.

Last year I posted this information and I took a lot of heat about  it. Guys I just posted what muncipalities were going to do.If you have a problem about what I post you can kiss my as^. I told you this was going to happen and nobody give a rats as4 Grumpy Grizzly

:).this is Grumpy Grizzly. I did a recent post concerning this issue and I feel some of my comments were out of line. I was havng a really bad day and I feel I should apologize to the members of this site for my inappropriate comments. This is a top notch site for everyone and I feel I was way out of line. Again please acceptmy apologies, hope to make a more useful post soon ;D