Disbanded units

Question:

How do city administrations determine which fire companies to disband or close due to budget cuts? Are there certain stats that are taken into account? I was just looking up the annual # of runs for E278 before they were disbanded and in the early 2000s they were running 2500+ runs a year. Seemed to be one of the busier engines in the 40 at the time. They were close to other engine companies in the Sunset Park/Borough Park area (201, 282, 228). I know of a few others that were disbanded in the 2003? cycle (E204, E209). Also just read that Baltimore City FD Engine 55 was disbanded, and shockingly they seem very close to their city’s downtown area.

Thanks in advance

The objective (scientific) approach evaluates the potential impact of a company closure on the remaining companies. This involves considerable analysis, particularly if several different closures are being considered. The results are frequently 'counter intuitive' and often 'politically undesirable,' resulting in decisions that defy understanding in conventional terms.

The activity levels of a company are secondary to its contribution to the area wide 'effective fire force.' Run histories do not predict future activity reliably.

Three engines and two ladders that responded in Baltimore Engine 55's neighborhood were previously disbanded. Seven engines and one ladder (the only one) have been disbanded in downtown Baltimore over the years.

Looking forward I'm sure there will be many companies disbanded and other cuts made. It will be much worse than 1975.

Question:

How do city administrations determine which fire companies to disband or close due to budget cuts? Are there certain stats that are taken into account? I was just looking up the annual # of runs for E278 before they were disbanded and in the early 2000s they were running 2500+ runs a year. Seemed to
The objective (scientific) approach evaluates the potential impact of a company closure on the remaining companies. This involves considerable analysis, particularly if several different closures are being considered. The results are frequently 'counter intuitive' and often 'politically undesirable,' resulting in decisions that defy understanding in conventional terms.

The activity levels of a company are secondary to its contribution to the area wide 'effective fire force.' Run histories do not predict future activity reliably.

Three engines and two ladders that responded in Baltimore Engine 55's neighborhood were previously disbanded. Seven engines and one ladder (the only one) have been disbanded in downtown Baltimore over the years.

be one of the busier engines in the 40 at the time. They were close to other engine companies in the Sunset Park/Borough Park area (201, 282, 228). I know of a few others that were disbanded in the 2003? cycle (E204, E209). Also just read that Baltimore City FD Engine 55 was disbanded, and shockingly they seem very close to their city’s downtown area.

Thanks in advance
K
Engine 55 is not disbanded yet. Scheduled for 7/1 but city council (who has no say) wants it restored. e55 is quartered with T23

Certain they will breaking out that list of 20 companies that were saved a few years ago which I believe included E157 and 161 on SI

Certain they will breaking out that list of 20 companies that were saved a few years ago which I believe included E157 and 161 on SI
The 2011 list:
E4, E26, E46, E60, E157, E161, E205, E206, E218, E220, E233, E284, E294, E306, E328
L8, L53, L104, L128, L161

When the money gets tight (tighter?) they will bring out all of those other plans such as cutting the manning, eliminate Chiefs Aides, quints, just to name a few. All to save $$$$. Who knows, maybe the CFC's will make a comeback.

Someday they and all these other cities will rue the day that companies were disbanded. Oh wait, politicians don't rue a thing as their above reproach.