E60 L17 14Bn relocation

E60 to E83 & L17 to L42 14BN ??  not sure .The move was supposed to take place today
Next future move    R4 to E316 & E292 to E259

Could they have used the former Engine 36 house?  Wasn't that property deeded to the city on the condition that it always be used for a firehouse?

JOR176 said:
E60 to E83 & L17 to L42 14BN ??  not sure .The move was supposed to take place today
Next future move    R4 to E316 & E292 to E259

Are the Res.4 & E. 292 "moves"  'Temporary ' for Construction/Renovation, or
Permanent Relocations ...?  :-\ 

fdhistorian said:
Could they have used the former Engine 36 house?  Wasn't that property deeded to the city on the condition that it always be used for a firehouse?
Much too far out of the area & the bldg itself would need renovation.

I'm sure alterations were made when it opened but the 3 bay E71/L55 house's original proposed plans back in the day were for two engines (41 & 71) and a truck (55). Could the chief could park behind the engine and free up the 3rd bay or have they put something in that part of the apparatus floor? ???

The R4 and E292 relocation is supposed to take about a year. They are redoing the apparatus floor. Not sure what else is involved. They set up an enclosure outside of 316 facing Astoria Blvd.  And there is a cage set up in the lot next to E259. 

They are supposed to move in, in a few weeks.

E60 and L17 are both in cages in the street.  Last night was supposedly the first tour in temporary qts.

In2theJob said:
The R4 and E292 relocation is supposed to take about a year. They are redoing the apparatus floor. Not sure what else is involved. They set up an enclosure outside of 316 facing Astoria Blvd.  And there is a cage set up in the lot next to E259. 

They are supposed to move in, in a few weeks.
Most probably putting the LAG Hose Wagon in the cage & R*4 inside the FH w/316.

BCR

I gotta imagine it is pretty tough to find build able real estate close enough to old houses to build new ones, I'm sure they have looked into the cost of both options and go the cheaper route

billybob said:
I guess there is no way the city is going to build new firehouses. Even though there are many firehouses that are falling apart I guess the city feels it is cheaper to repair the old ones.

New firehouses?!?!  Many of us have the privilege of working in century old LANDMARKS and we have a great deal of pride in that fact.  These old firehouses with their brass poles and tin ceilings have more quality and character than any of the pieces of junk they're building today.  Have you seen the ugly firehouses that have gone up in the last decade?  Have you witnessed the debacle that was 75/33's quarters?  How could a building that new need to be surrounded by scaffolding.

We don't need new firehouses.  We love the storied buildings that we work in.  We love the remnants of horse stalls and the vents in the ceiling for the old steamer.  We love the fact that 100+ years of firemen passed through those doors responding bravely and some never returning.  What the city needs to do is repair these beautiful firehouses the way they deserve to be repaired, not replace them with some soul-less, ugly, poorly built fire"station".

JohnnyBopp said:
billybob said:
I guess there is no way the city is going to build new firehouses. Even though there are many firehouses that are falling apart I guess the city feels it is cheaper to repair the old ones.

New firehouses?!?!  Many of us have the privilege of working in century old LANDMARKS and we have a great deal of pride in that fact.  These old firehouses with their brass poles and tin ceilings have more quality and character than any of the pieces of junk they're building today.  Have you seen the ugly firehouses that have gone up in the last decade?  Have you witnessed the debacle that was 75/33's quarters?  How could a building that new need to be surrounded by scaffolding.

We don't need new firehouses.  We love the storied buildings that we work in.  We love the remnants of horse stalls and the vents in the ceiling for the old steamer.  We love the fact that 100+ years of firemen passed through those doors responding bravely and some never returning.  What the city needs to do is repair these beautiful firehouses the way they deserve to be repaired, not replace them with some soul-less, ugly, poorly built fire"station".
  AMEN! 8)

mack

Administrator
"New firehouses?!?!  Many of us have the privilege of working in century old LANDMARKS and we have a great deal of pride in that fact.  These old firehouses with their brass poles and tin ceilings have more quality and character than any of the pieces of junk they're building today.  Have you seen the ugly firehouses that have gone up in the last decade?  Have you witnessed the debacle that was 75/33's quarters?  How could a building that new need to be surrounded by scaffolding.

Very well said, Johnny Bopp.

Still in service.

Older is better. The firefighter proved that time and again. It had another boat fall on it and still worked. Older is better. End of story.

How about R4 to 324 .. put the satellite in a cage(I know it's a tough location for cage).

Mike M said:
How about R4 to 324 .. put the satellite in a cage(I know it's a tough location for cage).
DV*14 has a large staff of Light Duty there ....the FH is crowded already.