Edmonton Fire Information

Hey guys, you may have noticed I am posting some incidents from Edmonton, I figured I would give everyone some info to go along
EFRS operates out of 26 Fire Stations
26 Pumps
8 Ladders
6 Rescues
3 Tankers
2 Super Tankers
1 Hazmat unit
4 District Chiefs

There is a variety of support units
4 ATPs - All Terrain Pumps - housed with ladders which break down to a 2 man ladder crew and a 2 man ATP crew when an ATP is needed for a call
2 Mules - Kawasaki Mules, housed with 2 of the Tankers
Hazmat 2 - Same as Hazmat 1, Pump 10 crew mans HM2 when HM1 is operating at an event
Hazmat 3 - Regional Decontamination Unit, Manned by Ladder 10 crew when called to an event
MC1 - Mobile command Unit - Manned by Tanker 19, MC1 responds to all second alarms
Service Truck - responsible for delivering and picking up equipment to stations, responds to all working fires as support
Salvage Truck - Carries various extra supplies, SCBA bottles and has onboard compressor for refilling SCBA bottles, same job as Service, also responds to all working fires
TRTSU - Technical Rescue Team Support Unit - Responds to all TR calls, Manned by Pump 3
Gator 1&2 - Fire Investigation units
Fan Trailer - big fan for ventilating large buildings
Rescue Boat and Utility Boat - Housed at unmanned station 21, responsibility of Station 6

Thats all I can think of right now, any questions or wanting to see pics just ask!

How do you guys work with that cold????
frozen hydrants?  frozen hoses? 
just curious

Bulldog

Bulldog
I have a couple of quick questions.  What are the specifications for the Super Tankers, tank size, do they have a pump, etc.?  What are the Mules used for and how are they transported?

All of the hydrants have valves below the frost line, they aren't like the movies where if a car hits them they spray water. The hydrants self drain when not used. As for trucks and hoses as long as the water is moving its ok. If the pumps are not actively pumping and outside for a long period of time they are recirculating or they will freeze. Same with the hose if the water keeps moving through them its ok, if not they freeze. EFRS does not have Thawing Apparatus like FDNY. I have never heard of a frozen hydrant but I have heard of hoses that needed to be transported via flat deck trailer to be thawed.

Super tankers are 3000 Gallons of water, full size pumps like our pumps and some foam capabilities
Not sure how to insert an image but here is a link to one
https://www.google.ca/search?q=edmonton+fire+dept&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=GfT-UonLJcer2AXMv4CoDw&sqi=2&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAw&biw=1920&bih=989#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=FgSOKmPw_JgGRM%253A%3BC5Hs-YgbVGU6FM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.fwnetz.de%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2009%252F05%252Fedmonton_pumper_tankers_002-01.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.fwnetz.de%252Ftag%252Fedmonton-fire-rescue-services%252F%3B2322%3B704

Mules are used mainly at wildland fires, Edmonton has a river valley that is about 4 times larger then Central Park and the outskirts of the city are not serviced by hydrants as they are still farmland.
The mules are transported on custom trailers pulled behind a fire apparatus, the trailer they are transported on has 200 gallons of water and a pump that the mule can then pull into hard to reach places. The mules are not used very much, the ATPs are used way more frequently.

Here's the photo:

edmonton_pumper_tankers_002-01.jpg

Bulldog

Bulldog
CanadianFireman said:
All of the hydrants have valves below the frost line, they aren't like the movies where if a car hits them they spray water. The hydrants self drain when not used.
That's how all the hydrants here in the states are designed also.  Still once in a while you see one that spews when struck because the impact both the valve stem up and out of the base, very rare but it does still happen.

Those large tankers are really sharp looking and I'm sure very effective when needed!

They are big units for city driving, very heavy also. But effective for tanker operations.