Engine 290s rapid water mack question

In the FDNY rapid water was used only for a few years....late '60s to early '70s i am not sure of the exact dates....it was somewhat of a scam to reduce manning & resulted in some injuries due to malfunctioning proportioners.....(It was marketed as "instant bannana peel " for use in crowd control in other cities)...if you bled the line in the hallway & the proportion was incorrect the floor became very slippery.......the good thing that came out of the program was the 1 3/4 hose....i am sure others on here can add more info.

JT,

I am not sure when Engine Co. 290's  1972 Mack ( Rapid Water ) Reg # 7212 went into service other than the year 1972, but I do no that it was assigned to them until August 8th, 1975.

Back in the war years we ( 319 ) interchanged with Engine Co. 332 in East New York, Brooklyn.  Our regular assigned apparatus ( 1969 Mack ) was not a Rapid Water rig.  At one point in June or July of 1975 we swapped rigs with 332 at our meeting spot which was the bottom of the hill, Cypress Hills St and Cooper Ave.  This did not last to long. On August 11th, 1975  we recieved 290's hand me down 1972 Rapid Water Mack as our assigned apparatus.  The shops told us when we picked the rig up that they did the normal look over to make sure there were no problems and then slapped the 319's numbers over 290's. On February 20th, 1981, the 1972 Mack saw its last run with us and we were assigned a new 1980 American LaFrance Reg # 8029.

Hope this info answered your question

Lone319Wolf 

Lone wolf and 69JK thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Lone wolf, you speak off those days fondly.. I have often wandered when one of the serving members of the war years in Brooklyn, or as in your case those members that saw their companies do service in Brooklyn, is going to write a book, quiet a few written about Da Bronx and some about harlem and the lower east side, but not many from those proud companies in Brooklyn.

It seemed in those days apparatus rotated around amongst companies far more frequently than today.

Additionally, for those interested, during my research i found this info on the nyfd.com website.

http://nyfd.com/brooklyn_engines/engine_290/engine290_history.pdf

Regards

JT

Rodent, you are right when you talk about the many books written about the Bronx and Harlem during those very busy War Years. And for me, because I lived closer to The Bronx/Harlem, as a fire buff, that's where I spent most of my time.

But along the way, probadly around 1975/76 I rode with Engine 290 a few times. I had met a guy by the name of Ira who drove Engine 290 and invited me to the firehouse. I guess Ira was quite the character, but he had paid his dues also working the very busy Ladder Co 111 in the Bed Sty section of Brooklyn. But what I wanted to tell you is that those guys in 290/103 treated me great when I was there. I sure did appreciate it, and they were always in the top numbers for runs and workers.

I also enjoyed a little time at the Tin House of Brooklyn, Eng 232/Lad 176. And also in Rescue 2 back in 1968/69.

Although I don't talk too much about Brooklyn on this site, during the time I was there, I saw those guys stretch into plenty of Brownstones and Rowframes. But lets face it, they certainly don't need me to defend them.

According to my records:

MP7212 - was assigned to E290 (it was retrofitted with a "Rapid Water System") from 08/03/72 until 08/11/75, when it was replaced by MP7504.
MP7504 - was assigned to E290 (it was equipped with a factory installed "Rapid Water System) from 08/12/75 until 03/17/79, when it was replaced by MP7831.

Cheers 68kj, i really must get stuck into the history section, especially the younger buff years, whenever i start something crops up and drags me away..usually da wife with a task of some sort or another!!!!

Engine 290 is still in the top ten for runs and workers for 2010, but not for OSW but is in there in the top ten for all-hands at 98 all hands fires for 2010.

103 truck features in the top ten in every category for 2010.

There is a quote on nyfd.com from a retired 103 truck member, saying in his opinion, engine 290 was one of the best engines around, and never had to worry about working above them at any fire.

JT