Engine 329 ATRV

BCR

not sure if anyone else came across the this - New pictures and list of what the ATRV carries.
http://nycfirewire.net/entry/e329atrv
Per link above, Equiptment carried
30 Lengths (1500 Feet) 3 Inch Supply Line
Attack Lines (Setup To Deploy 4 Seperate Lines)
8 Lengths (400 Feet) 2 1/2 Hose Split in two beds
12 Lengths (600 Feet) 1 3/4 Hose split in two beds One with Smooth Bore, One with Fog Nozzle
Forcible Entry tools
2 1/2 Gallon Water Extinguisher
4 - SCBA's with Masks
Water Rescue Surf Board
Water Rescue Equiptment - Cold Water Suit, PFD's, 600 Ft Ocean Rescue Rope, Torpedo, Wer Suit with Boots & Fins, Binoculars & Bull Horn
CFR-D Equiptment
Floating Stokes & Backboard
Indian Tanks
24 Ft Extension Ladder

While we are on this topic, anyone have a photos of the ATRV in Action ?
I also am kinda surprised that the ATRV does not have its own pump. I would think if they had a long lay and laid out all 30 lengths of 3 in supply hose and wanted to utilize a pair of hand lines or a hand line and deck gun that the 329 or who ever had the hydrant supplying the ATRV would have trouble getting an adequate supply pressure with all that friction loss

Bulldog

Bulldog
BCR said:
I also am kinda surprised that the ATRV does not have its own pump. I would think if they had a long lay and laid out all 30 lengths of 3 in supply hose and wanted to utilize a pair of hand lines or a hand line and deck gun that the 329 or who ever had the hydrant supplying the ATRV would have trouble getting an adequate supply pressure with all that friction loss
I'm sure part of the reason it doesn't have a pump because of weight. It needs to be relatively light so it doesn't sink into the sand or other dirt surfaces. Also the price of a pump significantly increase the cost of the truck. Also, the friction loss isn't terrible, it's about 8psi/100' for a flow rate of 300 GPM so it's totally doable for the fire flow required for residential fire.

One thought on friction loss in the Breezy Point area that the ATRV goes on was originally it consisted of 1 sty homes some w/a basement & in later years many w/2nd fls so not to much to deal w/as far as pumping water upwards w/a limited pump supply or friction loss problem however since Hurricane Sandy many homes are being raised adding at least the equivalent of another story possibly adding to the friction loss as well as requiring longer portable ladders & also putting the top fl higher in the wind stream .....back when 329s regular piece was an '86 Mack the shops had mounted a 35' portable above the hose bed there would be more need for that length now rather than the 24'.

BCR

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php?topic=29002.0

Rockaway VFD's New piece just comes to mind, about the same size but with a 1000 GPM pump and a 300 gallon tank, if they went this route with the ATRV they could operate it independent of 329 like they do with the rapid response trucks. I think they also carry a 35 ft ladder

FDNY 3 1/2 hose is actually 3" hose with 3 1/2 fittings attached. only marine companies have 3 1/2 hose that's the full 3 1/2 hose and fittings. I don't think this has changed.

looks like they finally got the right sized tires- like the RPVFD apparatus.  The old "sand vehicle" ,as they call it at 329, would often get stuck in the sand!  the old tires were too narrow.

BCR said:
I would think if they had a long lay and laid out all 30 lengths of 3 in supply hose and wanted to utilize a pair of hand lines or a hand line and deck gun that the 329 or who ever had the hydrant supplying the ATRV would have trouble getting an adequate supply pressure with all that friction loss

Unless they changed that after I retired in 2002, FDNY 3 1/2" supply line is 3 1/2" hose with 3 1/2" couplings.

One thought on friction loss in the Breezy Point area that the ATRV goes on was originally it consisted of 1 sty homes some w/a basement & in later years many w/2nd fls so not to much to deal w/as far as pumping water upwards w/a limited pump supply or friction loss problem however since Hurricane Sandy many homes are being raised adding at least the equivalent of another story possibly adding to the friction loss as well as requiring longer portable ladders & also putting the top fl higher in the wind stream .....back when 329s regular piece was an '86 Mack the shops had mounted a 35' portable above the hose bed there would be more need for that length now rather than the 24'.
It’s probably not gonna happen but I heard a rumor of a E329 TeleSquirt for this reason…..

The ATRV is meant to be a manifold on wheels. Breezy Point has very limited paved street access, like Fire Island. It does have sand access roads almost everywhere, pretty much behind every home. The ATRV can "fly" from 329s hydrant connection with 3.5. The hand lines can be stretched off of the ATRV when its brought in range of the fire building.

The present vehicle seems to have better tires than the previous one that was in service for years.....that one did not always fare too well in the sand...... generally 329 only takes this vehicle with them when going West from the FH into Roxbury & Breezy.

Last edited: