Engine 39 & Ladder 16

I recently saw a photo of Engine 39 & Ladder 16's 6 story firehouse. I know that the upper floors were used for other FDNY functions many years ago. My question is; have any of you fellas ever been assigned there and are all those floors still in use?

I don't know what's up there now but I was told, many years ago, that one of the floors was used as the fire alarm telegraph office; what we now call the C.O.

Bulldog

Bulldog
I hadn't seen a picture of that house before, it sure is beautiful.  If you look at this picture: Engine 39 firehouse you could see air conditioners in 2nd, 3rd and 4th floor windows so probably those areas are used for something anyway

saw police officers hanging out on the balcony once and i know there is a pct next door

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Capt.

I  have worked there a few times. 
There is a Mezz overlooking the Apparatus Floor.
The do have the 2nd floor. I don't remember about the 3rd floor. 
The other floors are no longer FD.  PD must use them all.
There is also a large parking garage area under the firehouse that PD uses.

There is a better story about the firehouse and it's upper floors. Has nothing to do with us but some 3 letter agency who use to use the space.

It's right across the street. My father worked in the precinct in the late 70's/early 80's. Some of my earliest memories of the job were running next door when we went to the precinct.

M

mmattyphoto

there was talk at one time the FBI used one of the floors to watch the Russian Embassy. not sure if this was true or not.

Let's not forget that the FDNY Training Academy was right behind E39/L16 at one time.  I believe it was in the 40s and 50s.  Not exactly sure when it moved, but I am confident someone out there knows.

P

proudff

worked there once on a detail. looks nice from the outside but fairly modern on the inside. it must have have been remodeled in the last 30 or so years. if you want to talk about a firehouse that is very vintage on the inside, 258/115 in LIC is the spot.

O

oldfiredog

johnd248 said:
I also believe it was referred to merely as "Probie School" in those days.
Proby School was divided into two parts in the 40-50's.  Ladder school was behind E.39's Qtrs. and admin. offices were on the opper floors.  Engine school et al was at the shops - that part of the building just past the repair shops area.  Chief James T. Ward was the chief of Training and his office was at the rear of the shops.

Oh, and the FBI had the top 2 floors and used to do surviellance on the Ruskies across the street.  Used to use these mimi-satellite dishes to eavsdrop.  It funny - when smoke would be sometimes seen coming from a window (10-26), the companies had to ask permission to enter - since it was considered Russian soil.

The proby school and other training schools were located at 39/16 all the way back to the early 20th Century, perhaps beyond. The building was built for this purpose but the training requirements outgrew this site after WWII. Training facilties were later re-consolidated on Welfare (now Roosevelt) Island about 1960 centered around the old quarters of Engine 49 after it was disbanded.

The upper floors of 39/16 was the site of Manhattan/Bronx Communications office until the present facilities were built in Central Park and Bronx Park in the 1920's. The Fire College was also located there as well as the library and other FDNY administrative offices.

The old building and rear training yard were torn down about twenty years ago. Only the front facade of the building, because it is architecturally distinct, was left standing. 39/16 moved up the block for a few years during the construction. What you have is an entirely new building behind that facade. I have heard that there are commercial offices on the upper floors now.

F

fao3493

I am looking for some help.  I am tracing my Grandfathers history with the FDNY.  I obtained a copy of his service record and am trying to fill in the blanks.  He started as a Fire Patrolman and was hired by the FDNY in 1927.  His first assignment was with E39 of the same year.  He then went on to be chauffer of Engines 39, 76 and 22 before being promoted. 
  I would like to see the location of the station where it was in '27 and pics of the apparatus of the time.  The FDNY website shows the horse drawn units, then jumps to the 50's era Mack.
  The station you folks are referring to in this thread, has it been in the same location since the 20's?
  Any help on these questions or where I can go to find more info would be greatly appreciated.
  I did follow in his footsteps.  I am an engine operator in Western Maryland.

Engine 39 had been at 157-159 E. 67th St. since 1887 until 1985 when it was rebuilt. The Fire Academy used to be there too. What was the period he was at Engines 76 and 22 as they changed firehouses. In fact, Engine 76 ran as a double company until 1946.

G-Man............... Picture the bunk room on the top floor  :eek:    sliding down 5 poles and walking up all those stairs.......seems like it time for an express elevator

F

fao3493

Thanks for all the information.  We are going up on Saturday and so far am planning on seeing E39 qtrs.  Here is another piece of the puzzle that is missing for me.  What apparatus would they have been running with in the late 20's-early30's?  All I can find are steamers, then a 1911 rig and finally a 50's Mack.  They wouldnt have run the '11 piece all those years, would they? 
  I am hoping the folks at E39 will be of some help.  I know what it is like to have 'whackers' from the public show up without notice and start pestering you with all sorts of inane questions and such.  I will do my best not to.

fao3493 said:
  Thanks for all the information.  We are going up on Saturday and so far am planning on seeing E39 qtrs.  Here is another piece of the puzzle that is missing for me.  What apparatus would they have been running with in the late 20's-early30's?  All I can find are steamers, then a 1911 rig and finally a 50's Mack.  They wouldnt have run the '11 piece all those years, would they? 
  I am hoping the folks at E39 will be of some help.  I know what it is like to have 'whackers' from the public show up without notice and start pestering you with all sorts of inane questions and such.  I will do my best not to.

Go to the Mand Library, at the Fire Academy on Ranalls Island.  They have a listing of all the apparatus by company.