Engine company activity for jan

londonfireguy

Just a quick catch up, as we are very busy over here with floods and storms.

january and early feb have seen a very active time for the. Bronx engines.

Not sure whats going on as i can only go by stats but E75, E42, E88 E92 and E45 and E48 have seen a lot of fire activity over the past weeks, most of these fires have occurred in E75 and E48s first due area, but they have on a number of occasions not been first due due to been on other runs, especially E75, this is an amazingly busy Engine.

For Brooklyn, even spread for E255 and E290 and E257, 257 is a very busy company for runs. It seems to me the E290 and the engines and trucks in that area are busy by virtue of the number of boxes and runs they have as first second and third due boxes, large geographical areas.

As a comparison, E290 covers a geographical area as its first due that in manhattan or indeed the bronx would be the area if four to five engines, same for E257, huge response areas down there.

Conversely, E75, has a 'normal' or average first and second due area, and still manages to be one of the most active and busiest Engines in the US. This accolade, im not sure as my study does not go back too far, has been held by E75 for a few decades.

Manhattan, well nothing of any significance, Again a pretty even  spread of fires.

If i was going to put my papers in for an engine in MAN, E14, E96,E37.

JT

Rodent,

You listed E48 twice.  Perhaps one of those should have been E88. Interesting analysis,  though. Thank you. Please
keep up the perspective from an unbiased source.

The news programs over here are full of footage of the flooding and storms in England. Please do update us. What effect on the London Fire Brigade?

londonfireguy

Thanks Turk... i did in fact mean E93!!

Well the floods are at last, albeit very slowly starting to subside, however with more rain forecast it may be somewhat premature to start hoping to see an end insight to this unprecedented catastrophic series of weather systems that have hit the UK since Christmas.

As for the LFB, our high volume pumping units are assisting out of London Fire and Rescue Services, in Somerset, (akin to the FDNY assisting FDs in upstate NY), and closer to home to the west of London in Royal Berkshire and Surrey, areas in the locality of Windsor Castle are under 3-7 feet of water, and have been now for some weeks. Somerset has been under water since the new year!! Additionally, normal crews other than the high volume pumping crews are also doing sterling work assisting those communities outside London.

Within London, and where my own experience has been, we have a 15 pump (third alarm-plus) special service in operation that has been in operation for two weeks, and will be for at least another two weeks, in southeast London in Croydon, this effort is to stop flood water getting into the water treatment works, should this happen, then up to 45,000 homes and business' would be affected.

All this is due to the amount of rain that has fallen on already saturated ground, and in the case of Berkshire and Surrey the River Thames bursting its banks. And on top of this, has been the winds, I was driving an operational support unit on a motorway on the way back from the croydon floods in the early hours of the morning last week, during one of a number of storms that had been relentlessly sweeping across the UK, the unit i was driving was hit by a gust of wind that flattened the side view mirrors to the side of the lorry, and blew me three lanes across the motorway.. Only by sheer luck and my guardian angel looking down on me did i manage to keep control of the unit, which was a high sided box style apparatus.

We have dealt with roofs being blown off buildings,  signs and hoardings being blown down, trees down, and structures left unsafe, all due to high winds, that in some cases have lasted for hours before subsiding.

Hopefully we are starting to see the beginning of the end to all this, and hopefully we, and all the other agencies involved, will learn some vital lessons on how best to deal with such a situation, if, or more than likely, when, it happens again.

JT