Famous Folks/Fireman Fathers

I think Rich Volpe was in 83/29, but not postive - he'd be in his 70's so the age works out for grandfather
No, don't think that's him - seems his grandfather was born in 1941, which puts him at 81/82 yrs. old - not the Volpe I was thinking might be.

Yes, we called him Rick Volpe, he was from Commack and was on my son’s team for a couple of years.

Yes "EdisonFire", that sure IS A BIG ONE.
But "Ole Blue Eyes" (Frank Sinatra) and a few others have already been covered in previous post.

Many famous names attached to the nations fire department family as posted starting with the first reply on this topic.

Also the following:
Singer Carole King's father was retired LT FDNY Engine 236.
Former Yankee great Joe Peppitone's brother was in Brooklyn Ladder 108.
Former NY Met's 1st basemen Keith Hernandez father was SFFD.
Actress Hayden Panettiere's father is a retired FDNY officer.
Hall of Famer Baltimore Oriole 3rd basemen Brooks Robinson’s father was Little Rock FD
Former NY Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez' father a firefighter in Orange County CA
Actress Alexandra Paul (Baywatch lifeguard Stephanie) her sister was one of the first female FF's on SFFD
Colin Jost of Saturday Night Live. His mother was former Chief Medical Office FDNY Kerry Kelly
NY Giants Victor Cruz' father a firefighter in Paterson NJ
Montel Williams of TV. His father was the former Baltimore Chief of Department.

Mike Johnson.... Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Father- James Johnson: member Shreveport Fire Department.....retired on disability after being critically burned at a fire where his captain was a LODD.

Mike Johnson.... Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Father- James Johnson: member Shreveport Fire Department.....retired on disability after being critically burned at a fire where his captain was a LODD.

Yes, "entropychaser", as I understand Mike Johnson's father James, received those critical burns and retired as an Asst Chief.

Yes, "entropychaser", as I understand Mike Johnson's father James, received those critical burns and retired as an Asst Chief.
I had a co-worker whose father also retired as an Assistant Chief in Shreveport FD. As long as I can remember, they have always been a well regarded, buff friendly organization.

In the obituaries of yesterday's Houston Chronicle- Larry Miggins. Born in 1925 in the Bronx (one of two in the paper), he was a three letter athlete and Valedictorian from Fordham Prep Class of 1943. Playing football at the University of Pittsburgh, he met Honus Wagner who gets him into baseball. After the war he signs with the New York Giants. While playing for the Giant's farm team in Jersey City, he plays against Jackie Robinson in Jackie's first professional game

He ends up in the majors playing for the St. Louis Cardinals. He hit his first home run at Ebbets Field off Preacher Roe. The radio broadcast of this was made by his classmate at Fordham Prep- Vin Scully. He left baseball in 1954 and at the time of his death was the third oldest MLB player.

He had 12 children and spent the rest of his career in government jobs in Houston. In 1990, sculptor David Adickes used him as the model for the 67 foot tall statue of General Sam Houston which resides along Interstate 45 in Huntsville, north of Houston.

Larry's father John was an Irish immigrant and "An NYFD firefighter who was cited for bravery and heroic rescues". Larry also had an older brother John who was briefly on the FDNY before he left to become an FBI agent.