Bulldog

Bulldog
FD347 said:
1 = Manhattan
2 = Bronx
3 = Richmond
4 = Brooklyn
5 = Queens
Richmond?  Where did that come from and what happened to Staten island?

HCO

For Bulldog:  Richmond County was incorporated into New York City in 1898 as the Borough of Richmond. Since 1975 it is officially the Borough of Staten Island, Richmond County.

Here's one more technical... the borough number goes by incident, or by location of company to respond?

Example: Rescue 5 gets a ticket to respond to 10-75 in Bay Ridge... does that show up as S.I. borough number or Brooklyn to where the call is?

If they get a run to Brooklyn the ticket will say " Respond To Brooklyn" on it. Along with the Brooklyn box number and address.

tl-ff said:
If they get a run to Brooklyn the ticket will say " Respond To Brooklyn" on it. Along with the Brooklyn box number and address.

Right, but is the borough # on thier ticket the borough as the incident they are responding to, or the same borough as thier firehouse?

If I understand your question correctly, the FDID is generated by the borough that has the incident. It matters not where the units come from.

There are five boroughs in the City of New York:

The Borough of The Bronx
The Borough of Brooklyn
The Borough of Manhattan
The Borough of Queens
The Borough of Staten Island

but they are each also a separate County in the State of New York:

Bronx County
Kings County
New York County
Queens County
Richmond County

Note that only one is located on the mainland of the Continental United States and holds the singular and distinctive designation as "THE"...Bronx.

FD347 said:
If I understand your question correctly, the FDID is generated by the borough that has the incident. It matters not where the units come from.

Yes that does answer. Thank you.

Bulldog

Bulldog
HCO said:
For Bulldog:  Richmond County was incorporated into New York City in 1898 as the Borough of Richmond. Since 1975 it is officially the Borough of Staten Island, Richmond County.
I knew that Staten Island is in Richmond County, but only Bronx and Queens Burroughs have the same name for their county.  So why are fires in Staten Island dispatched by the county name while fires for Manhattan and Brooklyn are dispatched by the Borough name?

Great question. I can only guess, but it would be that the one word "Richmond" is easier to transmit the the two words "Staten Island". In radio or digital communiciations, the briefer the better. Perhaps one of our Dispatcher members can shed more light on this subject.

I used to work in S.I. and when I would listen in, I always heard "Staten Island phone alarm, etc..." never heard "Richmond."