FDNY apparatus placement

Going through these photos, explains one of the Main Reasons why I used to buff the FDNY.

Anybody who wants to learn the job - it certainly is the place to be, even just by watching.
Whether it be a private dwelling, a row frame, a queen ann, a multiple dwelling, or at times even a brush fire, the FDNYs been there and done that.

And not just fires.
A car accident or maybe a water rescue too.

I sure was a very lucky guy to be able to watch them at work for many, many years.
I know of a lot of other guys too, who did the same thing and they would agree.

Good Aerial Ladder placement to a roof.... www.nycfire.net/forums/attachments/img_8799-jpeg.38625/ I always used to teach FFs to place it 13 feet past the roof line rather than the old two feet above the roof line.....this makes it easier to get sight of the Tip in a smoke condition & also if FFs are trapped on a roof & Fire is venting below the Aerial & or thru the lower rungs the FF could climb onto the under side of the Aerial closer to the Tip ( & preferably hook on ) & be lifted off the Roof.....guys would ask me why I said 13 feet not 12 ? .....it was just a number I thought might remain in their memory bank longer than an even number.....either way higher is better,

"The address of the fire building belongs to the truck" The Engine can stop drop hose and then pull forward to the hydrant. Also, by having the Engine pull past the building the officer can normally get a view of 2 sides of the fire building. The biggest mistake it see, is failure of "ALL" Engine Companies responding to get a viable water source for a confirmed or real potential working fire. Having over 50 years' experience as both a FDNY and a Volunteer firefighter, I must state "Put reliable water on the fire and good things tend to happen, don't put water on the fire and bad things happen." It is very rare, but I have seen the Engine Company in front of the fire building to use a large Caliber Stream to protect people trapped on a fire escape exposed to fire or fire auto exposing from below where the people are trapped. Other than that, very rare situation the truck belongs and stay in front of the building. Consideration must be given to access for Tower Ladders or Snorkels to the front, and sides of the building for advanced fires. Tower Ladder and Snorkel buckets make a great place to remove trapped people, for their safe removal. Aerial Ladders are important also but are more difficult to use by both civilians and firefighters.
PHOTO BELOW 2nd Alarm Melrose Aver. & E-152 St. South Bronx People trapped on Fire Escape in 1985 lor 85?
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retiredmelrose & E. 152-3.jpgmelrose & E. 152-3.jpg

See L 51 bucket placement in the above set of photos. LCC positioned rig on E. 214 St and raised the bucket to the rear of the fire building via the rear yard of exposure 4. They have a 75ft spare and still made it. First class work.

The fire building side of this tight block has power lines.