FDNY BOOKS

entropychaser

Find the book "Firehouse" written by Pulitzer Prize winning author the late David Halberstam and published in 2002. An elegiac memory of the members of his neighborhood firehouse (E40/L35) lost on 9/11, it is an insightful outsider story of the inside.

jtsjc1

Two great history books same title different books. First is available in print, second can be found in a nice pdf online.

68jk09

Not sure who the author is on this book I have not seen this book before but looking at the few photos displayed ... # 1 the face of Box 2743 Charlotte & 170 Sts.. the most busiest WORKING War Years Box back when... #2 A Williamsburg BKLYN picture of then LT John Ryan & his FFs of ENG*216 using a Handline to cover themselves as they hooked up a Pumper Supply Line to a Hydrant at a heavily involved WILLIAMSBURG factory Fire....# 3 LAD*31 using their Bed Ladder Pipe...# 5 The FF on the left is Paul Zydor R*2 RIP..... curious what the book holds ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/FDNY-NYFD-...031855?hash=item1cf4f8d2af:g:nZ8AAOSwZmpfd18h

nfd2004

I just bought it and paypal says I paid Steven Scher
I just bought it too. Looks like a Great Book.

There were only Five copies and four were already sold. I "think" the last copy just got sold. Kind of an early present from Santa because I really been trying to be good. Like staying in Quarantine just like I should.

I remember when Charlotte and 170 Sts looked like that. Sometimes the flames were coming out of the windows too.

As the FDNY War Years started, some guys would say; "this is where it all began".

nfd2004

I remember meeting Lt Hamilton back in 1968 when I was invited to ride with Rescue 2, then quartered on Carlton Ave with Engine Co 210. He was a very "low key" guy from what I remember.

When I was in the kitchen with the other guys and Lt Hamilton was up in his office, ALL those guys told me of the many rescues and grabs that he had made. He was one of the most decorated firefighters in the FDNY. Of course at 17 or 18 years old then, I couldn't really appreciate the kind of work he had done.

entropychaser

I remember meeting Lt Hamilton back in 1968 when I was invited to ride with Rescue 2, then quartered on Carlton Ave with Engine Co 210. He was a very "low key" guy from what I remember.

When I was in the kitchen with the other guys and Lt Hamilton was up in his office, ALL those guys told me of the many rescues and grabs that he had made. He was one of the most decorated firefighters in the FDNY. Of course at 17 or 18 years old then, I couldn't really appreciate the kind of work he had done.
A nice companion to "20,000 Alarms" is Alex Donchin's magnum opus "First Due" published in 1980. It's hard to beat black/white photography for fireground drama, particularly at night.

entropychaser

Not sure who the author is on this book I have not seen this book before but looking at the few photos displayed ... # 1 the face of Box 2743 Charlotte & 170 Sts.. the most busiest WORKING War Years Box back when... #2 A Williamsburg BKLYN picture of then LT John Ryan & his FFs of ENG*216 using a Handline to cover themselves as they hooked up a Pumper Supply Line to a Hydrant at a heavily involved WILLIAMSBURG factory Fire....# 3 LAD*31 using their Bed Ladder Pipe...# 5 The FF on the left is Paul Zydor R*2 RIP..... curious what the book holds ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/FDNY-NYFD-...031855?hash=item1cf4f8d2af:g:nZ8AAOSwZmpfd18h
Steven Scher is a former FDNY dispatcher. His semi fictional book "The Buff Chronicles" , published in 2006 is a must have, particularly if you are looking for US Secret Service radio frequencies or NYC Transit Authority radio codes. The jargon chapter is definitive. Now, when you hear Manhattan tell Engine 44 that "the caller is the doorman", you will know the troops are laughing....and pulling up their boots!
Also, Bronx box 2743 is likely the only fire alarm box pictured with two US Presidents standing next to it. Too bad they weren't there at Oh Dark Thirty hours to send in the 9-2 and R and R the box.