FDNY BOOKS

entropychaser

I have read them all. All fictional history of the 12th Battalion since the 1930's. The ghetto firefighter's sometimes hilarious view of life in the 'hood. A recurring character is the despised battalion chief. Just like Jimmy Cagney as the Captain in the movie "Mister Roberts"'. Well worth your time.

1261Truckie

Lebby,
I have read them and will say they are well written, tell good stories and were very enjoyable. Good additions to any collection.
Jim (1261)

jtsjc1

Ladder 108 was a favorite of mine as a kid. My school library had it and I took it out quite a few times. Good memories.

nfd2004

Lt Hamilton was a GREAT GUY. He invited myself and my brother to ride Rescue 2 back in the summer of 1968. It was our first introduction to the FDNY and we were "hooked" after that. The FDNY War Years were just beginning. I know I told this story many times over, including in the beginning of the thread; "My Younger Buff Years" in the History section.

We are very THANKFUL to the late Lt Hamilton and another firefighter from Engine Co 210, nicknamed "TAD", for what they've done. We have NEVER forgotten the hospitality we were given as young kids, at that firehouse on Carlton Ave in Brooklyn.

JohnnyGage

^^^^^I found this book on a close out sale rack of a book store for $5 many years ago. It has a wealth of good info, catalogues many historic fires and a great reference source, I keep it handy.

Screenshot_2021-05-25-07-37-53-1.png

nfd2004

Spanner

^^^^^I found this book on a close out sale rack of a book store for $5 many years ago. It has a wealth of good info, catalogues many historic fires and a great reference source, I keep it handy.

View attachment 13961
That was one of the first FDNY books I got many years ago as a teenager. Great book!! I drove my father crazy telling him about all the different fires and rescues I was reading about!
Then I came in and caught him reading it!!! Soon he was telling me about things in the book!!

nfd2004

That was one of the first FDNY books I got many years ago as a teenager. Great book!! I drove my father crazy telling him about all the different fires and rescues I was reading about!
Then I came in and caught him reading it!!! Soon he was telling me about things in the book!!

Thanks "Spanner". A Great Story and YES, it is a Great Book.

1261Truckie

A very good book. Lt. Hamilton was very interesting to see in operation at a job. While riding with 132 I was fortunate to run in with Rescue 2 with Lt. Hamilton at the helm on several occaisions.

nfd2004

A very good book. Lt. Hamilton was very interesting to see in operation at a job. While riding with 132 I was fortunate to run in with Rescue 2 with Lt. Hamilton at the helm on several occaisions.

Jim, riding with Rescue 2, along with Lt Hamilton, in the summer of 1968 was my first introduction to the work of the FDNY. For me, it was the beginning of an education that carried through for about 50 years.

When I was first introduced to this website, I thought why not tell my story about my younger buff days, which I must give credit to the late Lt Richard Hamilton and the members of Rescue 2 and Engine 210 back then at that Carlton Ave Firehouse.

One thing led to another. When I started to write "My Younger Buff Years" here in the History section, at the very beginning in reply # 2, I mentioned Lt Hamilton and how I was able to ride with the members of Rescue 2 back then led by Lt Hamilton.

Until I read the book "20,000 Alarms", I never realized how highly decorated Lt Hamilton was. He never mentioned it but the guys would tell me. Of course for me as a young wanna be, "I really couldn't understand the kind of job he had done".

When I started writing that "buff years story" is when I got the chance to meet up with some of my BEST FRIENDS I have today. Members of the FDNY who apparently started reading some of those buff stories. I just wish I knew those guys 30 or 40 years ago.

But it really all began with Lt Hamilton and a guy nicknamed "TAD" of Engine Co 210.

For those who might not be familiar with "My Younger Buff Years", here is the link for that thread.

www.nycfire.net/forums/threads/my-younger-buff-years.3017/

1261Truckie

Willy,
1968 was a good year to start associating with the FDNY (Chief JK will attest to that). Lots of running and working (and those numbers were only to to increase) and plenty of members who either were or would become legends on the job.
We learned lessons that would stay with us forever and saw things we would never forget. I was very fortunate in that before I started riding with 132 at age 18 (1968) I was able to hang out at the house for several years prior to that and get to know the guys before starting to ride with them.
The stories on this site all bring back some great memories.
Take care, Jim