FDNY BOOKS

johnd248

A very good book. Lt. Hamilton was very interesting to see in operation at a job. While riding with 132 I was fortunate to run in with Rescue 2 with Lt. Hamilton at the helm on several occaisions.
Jim: before I started riding at E248 in 1964, I had to go to “training” at E280/L132. Was there a few weeks and the LT doing the training thought I knew everything and released me. I spoke to LT Hamilton several times at runs.

1261Truckie

John - was that Lt. "Wild Bill" Mulligan? By the time I started training it had been taken over by Lt. Bennie Poholski, formerly of E-257. We did most of our training at 280, with one session at 257 and a Saturday training at the Brooklyn Terminal Market in Canarsie. Good times!
While I never spoke with Lt. Hamilton, I did get to see him in action, most notably at the Adelphi Street fire in 1970.

68jk09

In 1961 the FDNY Auxiliary Training (for all FDNY Auxiliaries from all Boros) was given by FDNY LT Frank Guthy of the old Fire Emergency Division ...most of the classes in general FD subjects were held evenings at ENG*233 in their old Qtrs on Hull St .....also some of more Truck Apparatus specific classes (like Portable & Aerial Ladder hands on) were held at the Qtrs of LAD*111 in their present Qtrs on Hancock St.

fdny747

Jim, riding with Rescue 2, along with Lt Hamilton, in the summer of 1968 was my first introduction to the work of the FDNY. For me, it was the beginning of an education that carried through for about 50 years.

When I was first introduced to this website, I thought why not tell my story about my younger buff days, which I must give credit to the late Lt Richard Hamilton and the members of Rescue 2 and Engine 210 back then at that Carlton Ave Firehouse.

One thing led to another. When I started to write "My Younger Buff Years" here in the History section, at the very beginning in reply # 2, I mentioned Lt Hamilton and how I was able to ride with the members of Rescue 2 back then led by Lt Hamilton.

Until I read the book "20,000 Alarms", I never realized how highly decorated Lt Hamilton was. He never mentioned it but the guys would tell me. Of course for me as a young wanna be, "I really couldn't understand the kind of job he had done".

When I started writing that "buff years story" is when I got the chance to meet up with some of my BEST FRIENDS I have today. Members of the FDNY who apparently started reading some of those buff stories. I just wish I knew those guys 30 or 40 years ago.

But it really all began with Lt Hamilton and a guy nicknamed "TAD" of Engine Co 210.

For those who might not be familiar with "My Younger Buff Years", here is the link for that thread.

www.nycfire.net/forums/threads/my-younger-buff-years.3017/
Is 20,000 alarms based on FDNY?

1261Truckie

20,000 Alarms is the memoir of FDNY Lt. Richard Hamilton who was a Firefighter in Ladder 17, Rescue 3 and Rescue 4. He was a Lieutenant in Rescue 2.

nfd2004

Another interesting book that was given to me by one of our members, and recently Dan Potter, aka "JohnnyGage", had mentioned to me is called: "The Fires" by Joe Flood, written in 2010.

It talks about how a computer formula and the best of intentions burned down New York City between 1968 - 1978.

A check with Amazon has it listed, paperback, for $16.00

Mon7sey114

I figured this belonged here... One of our old timers was moving or something and dropped off these incredible additions to our company library. Needless to say, I got pretty excited! Library Additions.jpeg

68jk09

^^^^^ excellent... FIRE & FIREHOUSE two excellent but rare pictorial books....take care of them.