FDNY CD pumpers

In the late 50's FDNY purchased a number of WLF 750GPM units for use in the Civil Defense (CD) mode. However FDNY was allowed to use them on a day-to-day basis as long as they would be returned in case they were required. Were these units stored in active houses with an engine company and then just swapped out on an as-needed basis? I will assume there is no listing of where they were, correct? Thanx.

Grumpy...... There was many CD rings that were assigned to firehouses thru- out the city. The G-Man has a list that will answer your questions.

At E 319 in Queens,  we had CD 22  in our quarters.  It was a 1953 Ward LaFeance. I have the Reg# someplace in my papers.
When the WAR YEARS started to blossom CD 22 was removed from our quarters and went to the shops where they put a canopy over the cab and rear step. It was then permanently assigned to E 217-2 until disbanded.

During special events the CD rings were manned by a FDNY officer and chauffeur and the back step were 4 Auxiliary members which usually had 1 Aux. Lt or Capt to oversee them. 
Also a big plus factor was that the CD rigs were fully
equipped with hose,  fittings ect. When 319s  51 Ward went OOS we would use CD 22 as our spare.

No real need for a list, you answered my question. Stored with an active company, a ready-to-go spare if needed.

CD Pumpers had a lighter version of 2 1/2" Hose which had a red stripe running along the length of it.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
There were 65 CD pumpers in service with FDNY.  They had to remain in reserve status for 15 years before FDNY was able to take control of the fleet.

mack

Administrator
Atlas said:
There were 65 CD pumpers in service with FDNY.  They had to remain in reserve status for 15 years before FDNY was able to take control of the fleet.

Were they able to be used as spares and 2nd pieces before the 15 years?

Always good to read your wisdom.

mack said:
Atlas said:

Were they able to be used as spares and 2nd pieces before the 15 years?

Always good to read your wisdom.
  Yes, in fact the CD pumpers were used as 2nd pc. wagons as far back as the early 1960's.  I remember E37 & E80 both responding with their 2nd pc. CD pumpers to few multiple alarm fires in the Bronx in 1961 thru 1963.  E83 had a 2nd pc. 1947 ALF that was often OOS so they used CD46 which is seen in a few photos operating a deck gun at the P.S. 9 fifth alarm.

I remember in 1961 & 1962 ENG*237 used the CD Pumper in their Qtrs as their regular Rig & their 1948 Bathtub ALF sat in the back of Qtrs awaiting repair finally the ALF went back in service for a few more years.