fdny crews

what is the normal assignment of men per company per shift?
Truck
Engine
Squad
Rescue
Has this changed much from the past?

Battalion4 said:
what is the normal assignment of men per company per shift?
Truck
Engine
Squad
Rescue
Has this changed much from the past?

6 in a Truck, Squad or Rescue company. (1 Officer and 5 Firemen)
5 or 6 in an Engine. There is roughly 60 companies with a 6th man and this is because of the city trying to save  $$$ which in-turn becomes a contract issue.

* For engines not much has changed in about 50 years when they did away with 2 piece companies (1 engine and 1 hose)  and started making engines with hose carrying capabilities. For trucks it's about 40 years when rearmounts and tower ladders came into being late 60's early 70's (?), all ladder companies were tillers and had room for a 7th man. When rearmounts came out they cost alot less than a tiller and took up less space so they bought them with a phone booth like compartment for the 7th man. 

* Don't quote me on the years but it's a rough guess, but basically with apparatus evolution man power has adjusted.

I rode with Engine 248 as an auxiliary during the war years and many times we had an officer, six firefighters, plus me riding on the rig.  Needless to say, it was cramped; but then there was plenty of fire duty for everyone.

F

Fireman5230

in Engine 82 during the WAR YEARS they rode 5 + the Officer. There was a period call ADAPTIVE RESPONSE HOURS (1500-2400?) that an extra man was assigned. Same with 31 Truck BUT they had 6 normally assigned. This gave them a total of  7 + the Officer. I think this gave them the chance to have a second roof man. Sometimes the junior man would be teamed up to "get the roof" and have someone watch over them.