FDNY EMS Academy and Civil Service

I am on the provisional list for EMS, and have applied to DCAS for the civil service (list #1000). How long does it usually take for the list to be established and for you to find out where you are on the list? Also what is the CPAT for the EMS academy and what can I do to begin preparing for the CPAT and academy as a whole? And how does the EMS academy operate? Is it paramilitary or more laid back? Thank you for your help, I know I threw a lot of questions out there at one time.

i was looking into becoming an FDNY paramedic and was told the wait is about 2 years. that was a major turn off for me considering that by the time i would have been certified and called i would have been in college and that would have been hell with my schedule

Can always work for one of the Private Hospitals that are 911 participating member's. I worked for Mary Mac and Jamaica as a medic for 11 years, actually got hired by FDNY EMS and thanked them but turned it down. Wish it TOOK it for the record was just looking at the money at the time and not the benefits and my long term goals.
If you just want to be a medic for a couple year's, get hands dirty and move on then try the Hospital's. If hope to be career EMS then would take whatever job you get then when get hired by FDNY, TAKE IT and they will hire you if try hard and don't give up. In the beginning my just get part time without to much 911 experience and usually volunteering does not count, it should but it don't. Any question's please ask, have very many friends all over the city's vast EMS system, if don't know the answer can find it for you.
Rob

B

Bigandy

If you become FDNY EMS or a Paramedic I think when you take the FDNY fire-fighter test it is a promotional job. You don't have to wait on the list of civilians.

Am I correct stating this?