FDNY EMS News

Update on the state of EMS:

1) Reorganization of divisions, namely the addition of two divisions. Division 6, which will be Brooklyn North and a new Bronx division. Divisions will now be led by EMS Deputy Assistant Chiefs with two EMS Division Chiefs under each.

2) Five new Bronx stations, which I believe will be mostly in the new division.

3) New vehicles are contentiously being obtained, including the Medic flycars, PRUs, and 17 new BLS units being put in service in the Bronx to compensate for the loss of transporting ALS.

4) Power loading stretchers

5) Body cameras are being piloted for use by members at Station 44, due to the high number of assaults their crews have been subjugated to

Power Loading Stretchers? Wow, we used to be the "power loaders" that's why our backs are shot. I'm sure "Johnny Gage" will have my back (pardon the pun) on this issue.

memory master said:
Power Loading Stretchers? Wow, we used to be the "power loaders" that's why our backs are shot. I'm sure "Johnny Gage" will have my back (pardon the pun) on this issue.

We certainly don't have power loading stretchers, in Newark I still hand the folding chair stretchers. Right now the department is merely exploring which one to pilot.

memory master said:
p

I just noted your post Charlie, I agree..."lift with your legs!"...I remember one of my mentors telling me, "if they can walk, they walk, if not use the stair chair for everything else" and we basically did. Crazy times...