1100 ROSSVILLE AVE
ROSSVILLE STATEN ISLAND
(LOCATED W/ENGINE 168)

FH1.gif

mack

Administrator

Staten Island EMT Frank Dades Gives Back to His Home Borough​

f.gif

Meet Emergency Medical Technician Frank Dades from Station 23 in Staten Island.

Dades joined the FDNY in 2018 and is approaching his third year with the Department in June.

A resident of Staten Island, Dades worked in construction prior to becoming a first responder and he noted that he truly enjoys giving back to the borough he calls home in such an extraordinary way.

“I went to EMT school while I was working a full-time job,” he explained. “I applied online via DCAS once I completed training for my EMT certification and was pleased when I got the call from FDNY because I wanted to help others. This Department has so many opportunities for its members for growth and advancement, this is just the beginning.”

“My passion is to help people in any way possible. I am a strong believer in maintaining a healthy lifestyle,” he added. “If you are interested in becoming an EMT, I would suggest that you get physically and mentally prepared. It’s a fast-paced career and we are faced with unorthodox situations. It can consist of walking up 10 flights of stairs carrying a patient in a stair chair or performing CPR to someone in small spaces for a significant amount of time in 95-degree weather. Our job requires physical stamina. Every day is something different and you never know what your next call will be. This job is a calling. It’s a lifestyle and if you have a passion for helping people, then this is the career for you. It’s extremely rewarding saving lives and having an impact on a stranger.”

mack

Administrator

Staten Island woman reunites with EMS personnel who saved her life​

Published: May. 24, 2018, 8:04 p.m.

By Kayla Simas | KSimas@siadvance.com
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- It's not everyday someone gets a second chance at life. But one Staten Islander, Kathleen Doherty, 74, was fortunate enough.

Doherty was reunited with the first responders who saved her life at the FDNY's 24th annual Second Chance ceremony Tuesday in Brooklyn, held in honor of National EMS Week.

Doherty was discovered in cardiac arrest by her neighbor, Paul Digiso, in the backyard of her home on Sept 17, 2017. Digiso had alerted a nurse in their neighborhood, Laura Cappo, who began administering bystander CPR, an FDNY post on social media stated.

In less than four minutes, FDNY Lt. Frank Soto and Firefighters Anthony Tanzillo, Steven Decarlo, Gary Elder and Alex Filosa of Engine Co. 167 in Annadale arrived, and took over CPR. They delivered a single shock with a defibrillator to revive Doherty.

"I couldn't believe it was happening to me," Doherty said.

Paramedics Keith Werner and Carmen Rosas and Lt. Ralph Cabello from EMS Station 23 in Rossville, and EMTs Anthony Natale and Benjamin Knight from Station 22 in Sea View, arrived to Doherty's home next.

They hooked Doherty up to an IV and monitored her heart activity. Once the single shock the firefighters performed on Doherty had restored her circulation, she was then transported to Staten Island University Hospital in Prince's Bay.

"I am so grateful that the FDNY was there," Doherty said. "They saved my life and I want to thank them very much."

The ceremony gave patients, like Doherty, who have survived cardiac arrest, an opportunity to reunite with the paramedics, emergency medical technicians, firefighters, bystanders and other first responders who saved their lives.

"Each of our honored guests was struck down at different moments in their lives but what they all have in common is that they received the greatest care possible from FDNY EMS," said Fire Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro. "A New Yorker, or a visitor to our great city calls 911 for medical help, and our members rush to their aid - it happens 4,000 times a day and more than 1.4 million times a year. The enormous responsibility of providing that care is one our department is proud to own."

James E. Leonard, chief of department, stated the Second Chance Ceremony is "truly a celebration of all the brave men and women who go into danger to help others."

"Seeing this row of survivors is a reminder to all of us how important the FDNY is to the people who live in and visit our city," Leonard said.

Doherty credits her second chance to the quick actions of her neighbor, and the outstanding training of the emergency personnel.

Doherty.gif

How is that working out with EMS in the firehouse?
747, I had the honor of working the 1st tour when the house opened in February of 2004. Engine 168 was organized and in service June of 2005. It was the best place I ever worked in my 25 year career with EMS. The officers and members of both entities made the house like one giant family. If the engine needed something we took care of it, if EMS needed something the 168 took care of it. I recall on evening while I had the desk there was a job that 168 responded to and a relocating engine from Brooklyn came to quarters. The Officer of that company politely inquired as to what and where the members of that company could be or do in the house. When I replied that it's an open house to all there was a look of amazement. I still, to this day, think of and miss Brendan Pearson and Bill Olsen. Working with them was a pleasure as was working with the Officers of 168. I retired in Sept. of 2009 and was given a retirement party to which 99% of 168's members attended. The other 1% who were working just happened to pass by while returning from a run. I'm sure that the house today still runs as it did then and again it was the best 4 years that I ever had in EMS. I thank them and wish them all the best.
P.S. I never ate so well !

747, I had the honor of working the 1st tour when the house opened in February of 2004. Engine 168 was organized and in service June of 2005. It was the best place I ever worked in my 25 year career with EMS. The officers and members of both entities made the house like one giant family. If the engine needed something we took care of it, if EMS needed something the 168 took care of it. I recall on evening while I had the desk there was a job that 168 responded to and a relocating engine from Brooklyn came to quarters. The Officer of that company politely inquired as to what and where the members of that company could be or do in the house. When I replied that it's an open house to all there was a look of amazement. I still, to this day, think of and miss Brendan Pearson and Bill Olsen. Working with them was a pleasure as was working with the Officers of 168. I retired in Sept. of 2009 and was given a retirement party to which 99% of 168's members attended. The other 1% who were working just happened to pass by while returning from a run. I'm sure that the house today still runs as it did then and again it was the best 4 years that I ever had in EMS. I thank them and wish them all the best.
P.S. I never ate so well !
Awesome. Did they include you guys in on the meals? Did you guys have separate living areas and TV areas?

If we wanted to be in on the meal, which I always was, all you had to do was let them know beforehand. Yes there were separate TV areas. EMS personnel were not at the house much as they were sitting on street corners. The EMS TV area was basically used for the monthly drill which necessitated the Station Lt. calling back one unit at a time. As far as the bunkroom, it was actually the engine's domain. EMS personnel worked 8 or 16 hours and left. When I did o/t or a mutual and had to be back on the clock in 8 hours, since I live in Pa., I utilized the bunk room with the Blessing of the engine members. By the way, the commissaries were pooled. FD house tax and EMS house tax went towards the coffee, milk and all the other incidentals that were used by all.