FDNY Fireboat in New London, CT 10/1/16

Driving over the Thames River in New London, CT today, I believe I saw an FDNY fireboat at a dry dock repair facility.  Looked like either the 343 or the Firefighter II.  They have been there before for repairs.  Any clue as to which one and what is being used as a spare?

Probably the 343, I haven't seen it at quarters in a while now. The William M. Feehan has been at Marine 1 for a while (and for what it's worth, US Coast Guard vessels as well, especially around the UN General Assembly a few weeks ago).

johnd248 said:
Driving over the Thames River in New London, CT today, I believe I saw an FDNY fireboat at a dry dock repair facility.  Looked like either the 343 or the Firefighter II.  They have been there before for repairs.  Any clue as to which one and what is being used as a spare?

Johnny D, I'm not sure which one it is but I have heard it is nothing serious. Only general maint and that New London Shipyard has the contract to do the work.

Miss you !!!
  Uncle Wilfred

Awhile back I saw a FDNY Marine Matience Pick Up on 95 by long warf never knew they get repaired in New London

BCR

They have a contract with fdny for all the required dry dock Maintenance

Went for a closer look Sunday but could not get close enough to determine which boat it is.

For the record, the Firefighter II is in Staten Island right now and the Feehan is still at Marine 1, so it looks like the 343 is the one in Connecticut. Also, according to marinetraffic.com, the 343 arrived in New London on 9/15/16 at 11:20 am after just over 7 hours with an average speed of 12 knots.

Bulldog

Bulldog
C'VILLE 7111 said:
With the Feehan at Marine 1, is Marine 6 running with The Bravest?  Thanks!
Assuming that's the case why did Marine one keep their normal boat (Feehan) and let the Bravest go to Marine One?

Once again, I see what I believe is an FDNY fireboat in drydock in New London, CT.  I know they come here for routine maintenance.  Is either the "343" or "Firefighter II" MIA in the Big Apple?  It has been in New London for a couple of weeks.

johnd248 said:
Once again, I see what I believe is an FDNY fireboat in drydock in New London, CT.  I know they come here for routine maintenance.  Is either the "343" or "Firefighter II" MIA in the Big Apple?  It has been in New London for a couple of weeks.

A FDNY bus trip out of CT went to Marine 1's quarters today.  I was just told the 343 is broken. But the Fire Fighter 2 is not there either. They are using the "FeeHan"

Signal73 said:
johnd248 said:

A FDNY bus trip out of CT went to Marine 1's quarters today.  I was just told the 343 is broken. But the Fire Fighter 2 is not there either. They are using the "FeeHan"
I haven't seen the 343 in Marine 1's quarters since at least the end of September. The Feehan has been at Marine 1 most of the time since then and the Firefighter II is currently at Marine 9. You can look and see what boats are where on "marinetraffic.com".

Is it possible the "343" is still in dry dock in New London.  There is clearly a fireboat there; I don't know if it left for a while and is back or if it has been there the entire time since the original post.  Any suggestions?

Bulldog

Bulldog
Not that it really means anything but I just went over to Marinetraffic.com and look at fleet listing for FDNY and the 343 doesn't show up on the list? It looks like everything else does including the summer boats etc. Just thought it was rather strange. Anyone know if the 343 was on that list in the past?

johnd248 said:
Is it possible the "343" is still in dry dock in New London.  There is clearly a fireboat there; I don't know if it left for a while and is back or if it has been there the entire time since the original post.  Any suggestions?

Johnny D, a guy from New London FD says that he saw it there last week.

Bulldog said:
Not that it really means anything but I just went over to Marinetraffic.com and look at fleet listing for FDNY and the 343 doesn't show up on the list? It looks like everything else does including the summer boats etc. Just thought it was rather strange. Anyone know if the 343 was on that list in the past?
The 343 is entered as "FB343" so searching FDNY doesn't include it. Here's a link to the page for the 343 which shows it's last movement as a trip to New London on 9/15/2016.
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:451728/mmsi:367597230/vessel:FB343

Bulldog

Bulldog
Sure been out of service for quite a while, there must be a lot more work going on in just a regular checkup. Has anybody heard what's going on with it? It seems like these 2 boats have been out of service an awful lot for how new they are compared to how much the older ones were out of service.

BCR

Not sure what there doing but I recall them winning a contract for all dry dock work on all the boats, could be doing a complete scrape and paint on the hull or possibly something more involved like propeller / shaft / rudder & engine repair

Bulldog

Bulldog
BCR said:
Not sure what there doing but I recall them winning a contract for all dry dock work on all the boats, could be doing a complete scrape and paint on the hull or possibly something more involved like propeller / shaft / rudder & engine repair
It seem like these boats are old enough to require major work like that if they had been built properly to start with. Even the old boats that they replaced didn't want to service for major overhauls this quickly.

Seen in West Haven CT. Maybe making a return trip after dropping stuff off to the boat in New London?