FDNY Layoffs

Unfortunately, due to the loss of tax revenue and economic downturn the city is facing a budget crisis. Supposedly if it is not bailed out by 10/1/20, 22,000 city employees will be laid off in a cost saving measure. For FDNY that means a projected 1,000 Firefighters and 400 EMTs laid off. Additionally, 100 demotions and somewhere between 10-30 company closures. Again, this isn't set in stone but, the wheels are in motion. For those wondering, I should be safe with two years on (two years is about halfway up the seniority list in most stations). If you are a NYC resident and want to help, I imagine reaching out to your local elected officials would be the best course of action.

*In the article (one of many surfacing today) they say how no NYPD officers will be laid off, this is only because of the huge surge in retirements and already cancelled recruit classes from a few months ago.*

Unfortunately, due to the loss of tax revenue and economic downturn the city is facing a budget crisis. Supposedly if it is not bailed out by 10/1/20, 22,000 city employees will be laid off in a cost saving measure. For FDNY that means a projected 1,000 Firefighters and 400 EMTs laid off. Additionally, 100 demotions and somewhere between 10-30 company closures. Again, this isn't set in stone but, the wheels are in motion. For those wondering, I should be safe with two years on (two years is about halfway up the seniority list in most stations). If you are a NYC resident and want to help, I imagine reaching out to your local elected officials would be the best course of action.

*In the article (one of many surfacing today) they say how no NYPD officers will be laid off, this is only because of the huge surge in retirements and already cancelled recruit classes from a few months ago.*

Stay well and prayers for you, your colleagues. Lebby, FDNY, NYPD and all civil servants. I remember well the same thing from the 1970s. Very bad times and lots of innocent people hurt, both civilian and civil service.

Keep the faith, Brothers and Sisters.

So a updated more official document has been circulating which says
  • 200 civilians laid off
  • 400 EMTs laid off
  • NO Firefighters laid off
  • 175 Fire Officer Demotions
  • 50 EMS Officer Demotions
  • Again reviewing Firefighters on ambulances to make up for the manpower shortfall
This is still not official, and could entirely be avoided with some sort of bailout. The good news is no company closures. The bad news is EMS would be taking quite a blow, especially as many of the newest EMTs are assigned to busier stations were many senior members transfer out of (especially Manhattan due to the additional hit from tolls, as very few members can afford to live in the neighborhoods they work). Still hoping for the best.

My God. What have we come to? How far back can assets be cut and how many more deaths need we accept? Not the politicians, of course, but "us"?" Pure f____ing madness (forgive me, please, for being out-of-line).

All I can say is: Lebby, keep 'er going and fight the good fight. You and you colleagues have uncounted numbers on your side.

The City doesn't care about EMS as they can get the voluntary hospitals to field more ambulances which costs the City less money for contracting them. The City would not have to pay salaries, benefits, workers comp, vehicle maintenance, etc. As always, FDNY & previously HHC EMS, will get kicked around and will be told "the beatings will continue until morale improves."

As most of us remember, it was only a few weeks ago when the FDNY/EMS was being praised as Frontline Heroes. Every news channel in the country was praising those Life Saving Heroes as the City of New York battled the HIGHEST Rate of Covid-19 in the country.

Of course during which time the regular life saving responses, heart attacks, diff breathers, auto accidents, burn and smoke victims, drug overdoses, stabbings, shootings, child births - you name it - continued.

The FDNY/EMS is one of the most vital services within the City of New York.

I can tell you from my earliest days of chasing fire trucks way back in the early 1970s, there wasn't a day that went by that those EMS workers were not responding to calls. They have been there through NYCs largest disasters. In every kind of weather from hot, humid heat, to bitter cold winter nights, and when NYC was hit during some of it's worst hurricane disasters.
They were there when the World Trade Center was first attacked in February, 1993 and transported 1,000 patients from that incident to the hospital that day, as well as America's Worst Day on September 11, 2001.

As MM says, the city can field volunteers to man ambulances. Charlie, if anybody here can speak for the EMS of NYC, I'm sure you can. BUT in general, some places are finding it more difficult to get people as volunteer firefighters across the country, as well as EMS workers. I live in an area where there are volunteer ambulances in some of the surrounding towns and many have been forced to hire EMS employees because the numbers of volunteers just aren't there anymore.

In addition to that, "is the city able to collect insurance payments in some cases where the patient have medical insurance" ? I know that is true here.

The FDNY/EMS is a VITAL Life Saving group of Professionals that ALL the people of NY, as well as people who work in the city and visit the area, highly depend on.

Last edited:
Willy, thank you for your comments. However, I have to clear up what I said about "voluntary" ambulances as opposed to "volunteer" ambulances, especially for our non-NYC guests on this site. Voluntary ambulances are operated by voluntary hospitals within the five boroughs. Example, Staten Island=Richmond Memorial Hospital, Queens=Flushing Medical Center, Brooklyn=Wyckoff Heights Hospital and the list goes on for each borough too numerous to mention. These hospitals are not part of the NYC Health and Hospitals Corp. These hospitals are paid a subsidy, through contract, to run ambulances through the 911 system. NYC does not buy or maintain the ambulances or pay the employees salaries, etc. That is all done through the hospital. They are bound by the same regulations that FDNY EMS enforces. Now, "volunteer" ambulances are just that. A community may have a volunteer corps that is not bound by FDNY regulations except when the City needs mutual aid during catastrophic events. These corps are mad up of all volunteer personnel and they, the voluntary hospital units and FDNY are all bound by the New York State Department Of Health regulations. I hope that clears it up a bit. Any questions? I'm here so ask away and I'll try to answer although I'll be out 10 whole years this coming Sept. 17th.

Thank you very much Charlie for that info.

Also Thank you for your years of dedicated service serving the citizens of New York City during your career with EMS and as a boss if I remember correctly.

Congratulations on your 10th year retirement anniversary coming up. Based on how I have seen those EMS members work in NYC; "you sure DID earn it".

"You really are a Life Savor".

P.S. - Hey Charlie, is that the way you wanted to say it ??? lol.

Uncle Wilfred

Thank you very much Charlie for that info.

Also Thank you for your years of dedicated service serving the citizens of New York City during your career with EMS and as a boss if I remember correctly.

Congratulations on your 10th year retirement anniversary coming up. Based on how I have seen those EMS members work in NYC; "you sure DID earn it".

"You really are a Life Savor".

P.S. - Hey Charlie, is that the way you wanted to say it ??? lol.

Uncle Wilfred
Indeed Willy, Wintergreen

Oh my! Willy it'll be 11years. See I'm losing it already. lol Appointed 11/26/84, promoted to Lt. 1/30/89 and retired 9/17/2009

Ya see how fast time flies Charlie once your out in the pasture! I just turned over 18 years...in a blink of an eye, Carpe Diem...my friend.

I have to add a coincidental note. When the FDNY took over EMS, I said someday there will be ambulances running from fire stations, and when they get short for manpower an EMT/ fireman will be detailed over for the tour. That's the way it was done in DCFD when I was there. The guys all said, "No Way"...I said, rather smartly; "way". So far I'm half way right.