FDNY - MARINE 1

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
FDNY - Marine 1 in Conn-2022.jpeg

FDNY's Fireboat 343 - Marine Co # 1 has been out of service since the end March when she traveled to the Thames Shipyard in New London, Ct. Looking at this outstanding photo supplied by a friend of no other then our own WILLY - the vessel looks better then on the day she arrived in our horbor for the first time in 2010.

Bulldog

Bulldog
I really don't understand how the new boats need to be out of service as long as they are each year. The boats they were replaced whenever out of service this long on an annual basis. Is the design too complicated or??

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't understand how the new boats need to be out of service as long as they are each year. The boats they were replaced whenever out effecof service this long on an annual basis. Is the design too complicated or??
In today's work nothing is no longer SIMPLE! If you look at a helicopter, the craft spends more time down for inspections & repairs. These boats are computer driven so everything has to work to 100% effecientcy or there problems. Even with the 33's, they have a decent number of spares. I wonder how many years will they serve? The Air Force B-52 bombers were designed in the 50's and the are still flying today & will remain until 2050. The bomber was NOT computer designed.

Bulldog

Bulldog
In today's work nothing is no longer SIMPLE! If you look at a helicopter, the craft spends more time down for inspections & repairs. These boats are computer driven so everything has to work to 100% effecientcy or there problems. Even with the 33's, they have a decent number of spares. I wonder how many years will they serve? The Air Force B-52 bombers were designed in the 50's and the are still flying today & will remain until 2050. The bomber was NOT computer designed.
The same thing have been mentioned about getting in companies in the Mack CF thread. The new Computer designed equipment isn't built and he was near as rugged as the old stuff was! Between that and all of the new "high-tech" gadgets the lifespan and in amount of repairs/maintenance Req has gone up tremendously! Make you really wonder if the new stuff is any better.

Hi tech - more down time. Modern fighter jets are always going on for issues , same with fire trucks and fire boats