FDNY Patrol

What did the FDNY Patrol company's do? I remember hearing about the city shutting them down but what were they?

I think they did salvage work at commercial jobs and were funded by the insurance industry. Someone correct me if that's inaccurate.

The Fire Patrol was not FDNY, but rather privately owned by the Insurance agencies.  They responded to fires in their response areas and recovered valuables from the fire building and protected them from water damage with tarps.  There were only 3 left in New York City after 9/11 and they have since all been closed down.

M

mmattyphoto

The Fire Patrol only serviced commercial properties. There was one in Brooklyn and two in Manhattan. They were the last of them for many years.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
They Patrol would go to other areas. However there is still that so called Fire Patrol running around the Bronx at last check.  They have nothing to do with the real "Fire Patrol"

tbendick said:
They Patrol would go to other areas. However there is still that so called Fire Patrol running around the Bronx at last check.  They have nothing to do with the real "Fire Patrol"

I know what the "real" fire patrol is... but whats the "so called" fire patrol you speak of?

There's a volunteer group that drives around the Bronx in SUVs and minivans marked Bronx Volunteer Fire Patrol.  Not entirely sure what they do but they have no affiliation to the old Fire Patrol.

M

mmattyphoto

They have no affiliation with the REAL Fire Patrol that has now been disbandid.

ive seen those guys and i have a couple of pics and i started a thread on them on firepics. are they legal or what?

M

mmattyphoto

I doubt very much. saw them the other night at the 5th alarm, they were a few blocks away directing traffic.

So, is it basically a bunch of people driving around like their hair is on fire doing what they want on emergency scenes?

S

Sentinel

Regarding the other "Fire Patrol", Its a volunteer group that operates out of 1976 Gildersleeve in soundview. Way back in "94" they tried hooking up with the Aviation 3 company and did some training sessions at Broad Channel. I did the training and performed the simulated rescue.

Don't see how they are responding to direct traffic but it just goes to show you that if something looks and appears to be official its treated as such until someone actually gets hurt or is investigated to see it authenticity.

Its like the Far Rockaway search and rescue group whos leader drives around in a USCG stickered up car with VAC plates. The guy loves to park on the side of the highway and has been known to perform car stops on the stretch of road leading to Far Rock.

Loves to send out material using USCG letter head. Truly funny thing is the guy work at 9 metro tech FDNY HQ.  (Sean Moogan)

Sentinel

Thats insane. How the hell are these super buffs atually getting away with doing this stuff. I mean its one thing to drive to jobs and look at them and take pictures which but to direct traffic? C'mon, I don't really believe this because if PD saw some random guy directing traffic they would tell him to get behind the tape.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
I have been told that the city is aware of them.  Now what they are doing is another thing.